The Coming

"The best fruits in all of Egypt are sold here!"

"Fish, the best fishes are sold here!"

"Beautiful lady, your jewelry awaits!"

"Dresses, hey pretty lady this dress would look fetching on you!"

Most of the vendor owners yelled at every passerby even the ones that didn't look like they could afford it, desperate for someone to buy their goods.

Milah wished he could be like them, proudly displaying their vocation without a care.

He wished he didn't have to rely on somebody's interest in his body to put food on the table.

He hated it really. The act of stripping naked for someone he had not promised himself to felt even more humiliating than the act of fornication itself.

He wished his father had been privileged enough to leave without debt then maybe he wouldn't have had to do what he did.

"The Crown Prince is coming, a feast is to be celebrated on our streets for the return of our prince!" a town crier yelled as he walked through the market place.

"A feast that is to last for three days, an order direct from Pharaoh Nebtawi!" now he understood the unusual forcefulness the traders were using to get their goods sold, the order must have been made today, he thought.

A feast lasting for three days would mean for the usual busyness of the market to come to an halt in the days of celebration.

He found it rather amusing that while the traders were calculating the amount of money they would lose, he was thinking about the amount of money he could gain because a three days celebration for most meant three days of whore services.

"Buy your special oil here!".

Milah turned to the vendor trader with a smile, pointing to the type of oil he wanted, three days of whoring ahead of him he had at least be prepared.

He had to get to the palace before the sun set so he was in a hurry. He didn't want twenty lashes of cane just because he was busy getting 'tools' for his side job.

He could just see the look on Nefertiti's face when he gets to the palace with a bottle of oil that was used in very special situations.

After paying the trader and leaving with a friendly smile he rushed to the palace grounds and he hadn't got there when he could hear the sounds of Thabit's voice as he loudly ordered the slaves.

"Sa! Clean the gardens" Milah chuckled, he knew Sa and also knows that he was no gardener so it would do more damage than good but he won't be the one to correct Thabit on the matter.

Tip-toeing into the back of the line while pressing a finger to his lips to keep the others from saying a word, which they seemed to understand because they smiled at him conspiring.

All except Odji who he could see from the corner of his eyes was giving him a glare that he pointedly ignored.

"The rest of you do your normal jobs after eating in the quarters," Thabit finished with an annoyed glare.

"Where were you?" Nefertiti asked as soon as he entered the slave quarters. The large room was crowded with people rushing to get their breakfast and a few talking in the sidelines.

"The market place" he replied after collecting his food from her, "What is the matter?" he asked at the look of excitement on her face.

"I heard from Aluni who was told by Gigiasa that the prince is going to pick a personal attendant among us on his return!".