Chapter 1: The Beginning

Hermione's POV:

I sat in my room, packing my trunk. Jumpers, check. Boots, check. Shampoo, check. Books, check. That seemed to be everything I needed from home. Now the only thing left was to get to Diagon Alley and get my new books for class, my potions set, and a new uniform. I had grown in the past year, and I hadn't been surprised when my other robes didn't even make it to my ankles.

Naturally, Ron, Harry, and Ginny were going to meet me at Flourish and Blott's so we could shop together. I had been working as a barista for most of the summer, so I couldn't see them in person, but that didn't mean we weren't in contact. I had been owling them, and them me, all summer. Harry had spent the whole summer at the Weasley's, of course, and they had spent the summer playing Quidditch and hanging out together. I couldn't wait to have some time with them for myself.

"Mum!" I called from upstairs.

"Yes, dear?" She called from below.

"I'm going to be apparating to Diagon Alley to meet my friends now, I'll be back in a few hours!"

"Ok Mione, just promise you'll be careful!"

Every since I told my parents about everything that happened, (leaving out some of our closest brushes with death, of course) they had constantly been worried sick about me whenever I so much as left the house. I told them that You-Know-Who was gone and that no one could ever hurt us again, they always retaliated with the fact that he came back from the 'dead' once, so why couldn't he do it again. I didn't totally feel like explaining the Holocrux deal in complete detail because they might not understand, so I just tried to be as cautious as I could to keep them confident in my safety. List of things I needed in one hand and my wand in the other, I disapparated.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Hermione!" I heard Ginny's voice call out before I had even seen her and felt her arms come around me from behind. I felt Ron and Harry follow and we engaged in a group hug, my sight still a little fuzzy from apparating.

"I missed you guys so much!" I exclaimed, releasing them from the hug, Harry letting go last.

"It's great to see you finally," Ginny said, smiling.

Ron stood next to Harry, smiling at me, not saying much. I flashed him a big smile. Things may have seemed a little awkward after that kiss in the chamber of secrets, but he never made a move. I may still have feelings for him, but I think he just thinks of me as a sister, just like Harry does. I'm just not sure I feel the same.

"Shall we start with the lists, then?" I ask.

They each nod, and Harry pulls a list out of his pocket similar to mine, the three must have put it together beforehand. I looked at her own, it got a little crumpled when we all had hugged. I frowned slightly before looking back up. I grabbed Ginny's hand and led her out into the alley, Harry and Ron following close behind.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Draco's POV

I was standing alone by a display case in a very busy broomstick shop in Diagon Alley. I had come to buy my school supplies for this year, but for some reason I found myself in here. Every once in a while someone would shoot me a surprised look of knowing, but very few of them were dirty. I was surprised, to be honest, I would have thought everyone would have hated me. I laughed softly to myself. These people are all too trusting of me, I thought. I was a death eater less than six months ago, and they let me roam around among them? Ridiculous. I suppose I should thank them. It would be times more difficult to finish my education at that bloody school if everyone was against me.