Chapter 7: The Fall

Hermione's POV

I woke up in the infirmary. My head was still a little sore, but other than that, I felt fine. I looked to the chair by my bed. My book bag was sitting on it. I glanced down at my wrist. 8:00! I had missed breakfast! If I didn't hurry, I would miss potions, too, first class of the day.

I sat up in my bed, and got a head rush. I gasped quietly, but Madam Pomfrey must have heard me get up, because she came rushing in. "Miss Granger!" She exclaimed, "I'l surprised you're already up."

"Good morning, Madam," I greeted her, rising from my bed and grabbing my book bag. I looked down, thankful to see that I was still in my school robes.

"Miss Granger, I have something you should know about your injury," Pomfrey continued.

"Sorry!" I exclaimed, "I have to go or I'll be late for potions!"

I heard her sigh as I left the infirmary, running down the hallway with my bag. I checked my watch once more. It was 8:15. I had fifteen minutes before the first class started. Maybe if I hurried I could get to the kitchen and have one of the house elves get me some toast or something. I was still thinking as I rounded the corner and I slammed into someone. Hard.

I braced myself, but before I could hit the ground, I felt two strong arms pull me back up. I opened my eyes. It was Malfoy. "Oh my gosh," I started, "I'm so sorry, I wasn't watching where I was going, and-"

He cut me off. In fact, he kissed me. Right there. Our lips weren't together for a whole second before I pushed him off and wiped my mouth. "What the hell, Malfoy!" I yelled at him.

"I... I..." he stuttered, "S-sorry."

And he left, just like that. I was still in shock. What did he do that for? I shook it off. I had more important things to worry about. Ginny would want to know though, I thought to myself, groaning internally. As I walked away, I felt regret all of a sudden. But it was in the back of my mind, and why would I feel guilty all of a sudden? I brushed it off, and kept walking.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Draco's POV

That was bad. Really bad.

I had just finished breakfast, and was on my way back to the common room to get my book bag. I was thinking about Granger when it hit me. Well, she hit me. Literally, I ran into her. She would've hit the ground if I wouldn't have grabbed onto her arms.

"I'm so sorry," she exclaimed, "I..."

I wasn't listening to her anymore. I was staring into her eyes, and for some reason I felt like kissing her. I don't even like her, I thought, it's the Veela instinct, I guess. So I went for it. I kissed her. It was amazing for split second, and it felt perfect, but immediately I knew it was the wrong choice.

That feeling was validated when she pushed me off of her, and swore at me. I stuttered, trying to apologize but failed. I didn't know what to do. I instantly felt what she was feeling. Anger and surprise. It was like I was feeling it myself, but it was more like background noise, and I could feel my own emotions over them. She kept staring at me, so I did the first thing that came into my mind. I ran like hell.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Hermione's POV

I barely made it to the potions room in time. Almost as soon as I got into my seat next to Ginny, Slughorn started class. I looked over to Blaise, and the seat next to him was empty. Where's Malfoy, I thought."What happened to you?" Ginny asked me, "You look like a mess!"