Chapter 3: The Return

A/N

Apologies, I realized I was tabbing each paragraph, and that might look really weird on the mobile version. I'll stop doing that (Sorry to all the format lovers out there, ;) ) Hope you are all enjoying the story so far! (If you are, feel free to comment if you have the time, it means a lot)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Hermione's POV

Stay out of his way? Boy, that man doesn't know how to make friends, does he. If he would have at least attempted to be kind, who knows? Maybe I could give him another chance, and not hate him as much as I do. I returned to our compartment, Neville and Luna must have left. I sighed, closing the door and sat next to Ginny. "Sooooo?" She said excitedly.

I put on a genuine smile. "I'm Head girl!" I exclaimed, doing mini jazz-hands.

Ginny side-hugged me. "That's great, Mione!" Ron cheered.

"So you get your own common room I hear?" Harry raised an eyebrow, "Lucky!"

I laughed and nodded. "It's a big responsibility though," I said sternly to them.

Ginny laughed, too. "Yeah, yeah. So spill, who's Head boy?" She asked.

I sighed, and paused, tilting my head downward slightly. "Malfoy."

Ron erupted. "That git! Bloody hell Mione, you gotta share a common room with him? He's a death eater, and McGonagall chooses him for Head boy?"

"Take it easy Ron," Harry said, setting a hand lightly on his friend's shoulder, "Although that does seem odd."

I shrugged. "I don't know. One things for sure. He told me to stay out of his way, so that's what I'm gonna do."

"He threatened you?" Harry asked, voice slightly raised.

"I wouldn't call it a threat, but... yeah," I said quietly.

Ron reached forward and held my shoulder. His touch felt comforting. "If you ever feel like your in any danger around him," he started, "let us know. Me and Harry'll make 'im run for it, right?"

Harry nodded. "Thanks guys," I said, smirking slightly, squeezing Ron's hand as he released it from my shoulder.

We smiled at each other. Suddenly, we were interrupted by the train's whistle, signaling that we had arrived. I grabbed my trunk from the top shelf and the others did the same. "Wait!" I exclaimed, "I have to join Hagrid to help lead the incoming first years! I gotta go you guys, see you at dinner!"

I almost ran through the train's center, bumping into many students (And apologizing, of course, many of them didn't even mind once they seemed to realize who I was) until I reached the front. I was, thank goodness, one of the first ones off the train. I saw Hagrid immediately, and approached him. As soon as he noticed me he broke into a wide grin and opened his arms. I ran into him and hugged him tightly. I hadn't heard from him at all since last year. "Good to see you, Mione," he boomed.

"And you to, Hagrid," I said, releasing him, "Ready to lead some first years? I'm Head girl, you know."

"Is that right," he asked proudly, "Then where's the Head boy?"

Where was Malfoy? You know what? I bet that git wasn't even listening when the Professor had been discussing our duties. He probably zoned out, and was still busy on the train complaining about me with his friends. But who cares, right? I didn't need his help.

Me and Hagrid gathered all the first years up and introduced ourselves before explaining briefly what was going to happen that night, and then leading them up to the castle. I couldn't wait to join my friends at the Gryffindor table.