Chapter 23: The Manor

(A/N: Dang guys over 1K reads? Thanks! Oh, and it's been a while since I've updated, so I apologize)

Hermione's POV

I almost fell over after apparating, suddenly dizzy. "Hermione!" Draco exclaimed, holding onto me, "Are you alright?"

I managed to laugh, still trying hard not to hurl. "It just..." I trailed off, regaining my balance, "happens sometimes when I apparate."

He nodded, and we both heard Mrs. Malfoy chuckle behind us. "Draco dear," she started, "You can let go of her, now."

Draco let go of the hold on me that he apparently hadn't noticed he still had. "Oh, I remember those days..." she trailed off, still laughing to herself.

Draco took my hand, still feeling embarrassed, and led me down the long sidewalk to the front of the manor with his mother. It was a ginormous mansion, and even though I had so many bad memories here, I couldn't help but admire it with the background of the blue sky, and the thin layer of snow on the ground.

"You're gonna catch flies," Draco joked, obviously seeing my expression.

I elbowed him again, and laughed. "It's a beautiful house," I admitted.

"I hope you find the inside just as impressive," he said pridefully.

I did, in fact. Mrs. Malfoy opened two french doors to a gorgeous entryway. There was a grand staircase leading up several floors, and the decor was spectacular. It wasn't dark and gloomy as I had imagined it, but quite bright. The floors were white marble, and the walls were lined with art.

"Now," Mrs. Malfoy turned to us, "Mr. Malfoy is away on business, so he will not be here until the day of the ball so he can help host it. It's just us three and the house elves for now, but you, Draco, can have the honor of showing your mate to her room. If you need me for anything, I'll be in the study."

"Thank you, Mrs. Malfoy, for all your hospitality," I said politely.

She put a hand softly on my arm. "Oh please," she said, "Call me Narcissa, we're going to be family, we can't keep to such stiff proceedings."

I furrowed my brow slightly, but let out a forced laugh and nodded. "Thank you... Narcissa," I said, and she smiled and left.

I frowned slightly when she turned away. That's right, I would eventually be family; married to Draco, which was a scary thought. My entire future was pretty much laid out for me, which was oddly comforting and disheartening at the same time. I snapped out of these thoughts when I felt Draco's hand rest on my shoulder.

"To your, room, milady?" He joked, bowing, and held out his hand.

I smiled again, and took it. He led me up the stairs. I tried to take a mental picture of the place, just in case I found myself alone in it in the future. "Wait," I stopped him as we passed a room and I caught a view of some bookshelves, "What's in there?"

He chuckled. "I was afraid you would ask that," he said, "That would be the library. Please," he said, gesturing to the door.

I bolted inside, excited, and was even more amazed when I saw the contents of the room. There was high ceiling, and the bookshelves reached all the way to the top. It wasn't as big as the library at Hogwarts, of course, about half the size, but it was still impressive. There were bookshelves lining the walls, except for the several windows, and in the center there was a couple of chairs with a large table for work.

"Obviously you're impressed," a sly voice came from behind me.

I laughed, and nodded. "But can we keep moving?" He asked carefully, afraid I might disagree.