Chapter 8: The Truth

Hermione's POV

I stood in front of my mirror, staring at myself. I was in a gold and red Gryffindor sweater, and skinny jeans for the match in an hour. I combed my hair, taming my wild curls and split ends. I was thinking about pulling it into a messy bun to keep it out of my face in the wind, but remembered something Ginny told me about 'looking presentable'. I laughed to myself. I figured I would humor her, so I put on a swipe of mascara and lip gloss. Why not, I thought.

I pulled on a scarf and a beanie, both Gryffindor colors, and left my room. I saw Malfoy sitting on the couch in the common room, and froze at the top of the stairs. Hey, I told myself, don't worry about him. He didn't notice me yet, anyway. A few steps down, the floor creaked and he looked back at me, and then stood up, surprised. "Hermione!" He exclaimed.

Draco's POV

I kicked myself for using her first name. She had paused on the staircase, and was looking at me. I could feel her surprise, it was, again, an interesting sensation. I wonder if she could sense my... apprehension. "Hey," I said, shifting back and forth on my feet, "I just wanted to... apologize, for before. I was... not myself."

Surprisingly, she smiled. "I understand," she said, cooly, "I could tell, and it's okay."

I smiled back, and tried to change the subject before it got awkward. I may be a Veela, but I'm still Draco Malfoy, and I don't do awkward around girls. "Going to the match, eh?" I asked with a smirk, "Excited to see your team lose?"

She laughed, but I could tell she didn't know if I was joking or not. She stopped abruptly when she saw my seemingly serious expression. "Well," she started slowly, "I'll be seeing you."

And she left through the portrait hole, just like that. I could feel her emotion turn happy, I assumed there was a friend waiting for her outside. I was glad she was coming to the match. But why? Maybe I wanted to show off. Speaking of Quidditch, I needed to get going. I rushed back up to my room to grab my uniform and my broom and went out to meet my team out by the field.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Hermione's POV

I met Luna outside the portrait hole, and we walked down to the field together with the rest of the students. She was wearing her famed Gryffindor lion hat, it was quite a fashion statement.

I didn't have a chance to wish Ron, Harry, and Gin good luck before the match, so me and Luna just joined the rest of the Gryffindor fans up in the stands, and we waited for the match to begin.

After a few minutes of talking, the cheering from all ends of the stand intensified. I looked down into the field, and saw that the Gryffindor and Slytherin teams were entering onto the field. I all of a sudden felt nervous, but not for the players, for myself. That's never happened before. Odd. Before I knew it, Madam Hooch had released the Quaffle up into the players, and the match had begun.

Draco's POV

In minutes, we were already winning by 50. I felt pretty good about it, but I still didn't have the snitch. I saw Potter racing about, probably as clueless as to the bloody thing's location as I was. I flew above the action, looking around for a small gold and glinting object. I didn't have any luck, but I saw Potter's speed increase out of the corner of my eye. He's got it in his sights, I thought.

Naturally, I followed close behind him. I followed his gaze carefully, and saw the snitch. The sun shone off of it, making it easily seen. It's small, fast wings allowed it to dart to and fro, making it impossible to catch. Almost impossible. With incredible speed, it led us high up into the clouds. With the Malfoy fortune I had, I was able to buy the fastest broom available, and I was now gaining on Potter. We were almost side by side, now, but then the snitch started to dive.