Chapter 16: The Attempt

Hermione's POV

"You wanna what?" I exclaimed.

"It's not that big of a deal," he replied.

"They will literally rip you to shreds. Ron and Harry especially don't like that I'm spending time with you already."

Draco laughed. "I've been handling you and your friends for years, don't worry," he said.

I frowned. "Let me rephrase," he said slowly, cracking a smile, "Don't worry."

About to leave for lunch, him and I were making a plan to go to the Gryffindor vs Hufflepuff quidditch game that day, since all my friends would be playing in it. But that wasn't the problem. He also wanted to come and get me at the Gryffindor table so we would leave the great hall together after lunch.

"I'm not gonna keep avoiding those two idiots even if it's them who love to start altercations," he said.

I shot him a disapproving glare. "Let me rephrase," he repeated, "I'm willing to be civil for your sake, but I can't help it if they start something. And if they do, I won't hesitate to teach them not to do it anymore."

I nodded with fake understanding. "We wouldn't want to put a dent in that great Malfoy ego of yours, now would we?" I asked, putting on an innocent smile.

He nodded. "Glad we understand each other," he said.

We both chuckled. "So it's a plan then?" He asked, "Your friends might be leaving early anyway for the game."

I sighed. "Ok. Just... ok."

He laughed again. "Ready to go?" He asked, but then turned his expression into one of mock seriousness, "Or do you wanna go to the Great Hall separately, too?"

"Ha!" I exclaimed, "Let's go, Draco."

Dressed in our street clothes (Afternoon classes were cancelled, and we changed out of our uniforms after morning lessons), we made our way down to the great hall. I could hear all the excited buzzing from outside about the upcoming quidditch game. "You sure your okay being seen with me?" Draco gasped.

"The question is if your okay being seen with me," I retorted jokingly.

He smiled with amusement, and I giggled. He pushed the door open and let me go first. I felt a few eyes on us as we came in, especially our two packs of friends. I could almost feel them gawking. No matter, I put my hand up in goodbye to Draco, and he did the same, and joined his buddies at the Slytherin table near the wall.

After we split, I walked past the Ravenclaw table to my friends. "Hey," I greeted them.

"Hey there," Ginny greeted back, sipping her pumpking juice and setting it back down.

"Why did you come down with him?" Ron asked.

"Boy, you don't waste any time with formalities, do you?" I joked, but seeing his serious expression, I cut my laughter short and apologized.

"We live together," I explained simply, sitting down, "We were going to the same place. We're friends."

Ron seemed to tense, and Harry and Ginny simoultaneously took another sip of juice. "Are you coming to the game today?" Ginny asked quickly, trying to diffuse the obvious tension.

I nodded. I wonder if I should include Draco in my answer. Maybe not. "I'll be there," I replied simply and cheerfully.

She smiled, and we continued to eat our lunch in good moods. My friends talked about quidditch and once in a while I even joined in. I was finishing up the last of my meal, the first of my friends to finish eating, when Harry spoke to me. "How did the Slytherin team look when you went to their practice, Mione?" Harry asked me.