Chapter 21: The Request

Narrator's POV

Harry, Ginny, and Ron sat waiting in the infirmary. They had been talking together for almost half an hour, standing by till one of the two would wake up.

They didn't notice when the blonde one opened his eyes, and they almost had three-fold heart attacks when he sat up sharply. He looked around. "Where am I?" He exclaimed, but seemed to answer his question in his own head as he breathed out and settled back down.

He gasped again, however, when his eyes came to rest at Hermione, still being held in his own arms. "Hermione!" He cried, and jumped out of the bed, laying her down on the bed's pillow. He knelt down next to her.

"Oh my god," he whispered to himself and Hermione, their faces inches apart, "What have I done."

"Oi!" An annoyed voice called from the next bed over.

Draco looked up. It was the Weasel, and he was just now becoming aware of the presence of Hermione's friends. His eyes flickered with recognition before they did anger, and he growled at the red-haired one who had dared confront him.

"Did you hear that? He just gr-" Ron started, dumbfounded before Harry yanked him back down on the bed, shutting him up.

"What happened to her?" Draco asked desperately, staring at Hermione's rested face.

"You spent too much time apart," Ginny explained sympathetically, "She went into some fit of pain a few hours ago, and based on the condition your friend Zabini brought you in, the same thing happened to you."

He sighed. "Please leave," He asked stiffly.

"We're not going an-" Ron started again but was stopped by Ginny.

"Shut it," she ordered, pushing Ron towards the door, "We might be back later," she noted to Draco as she led the two boys out of the infirmary, hesitant to leave their friend under the watch of a former enemy.

After they left, Draco broke down into several tears. "It's all my fault," he mumbled repetitively to himself. It was his God-forsaken Veela blood that had punished him for leaving her behind, and now it was her that was feeling the effects.

He laid down in Hermione's hospital bed beside Hermione, and pulled her up to him into his arms. "I'm so sorry," he mumbled as he wrapped his arms around her, hugging her tightly, and setting her head against his shoulder. He was still sore, and his throat hurt, but he felt the pain subsiding as he held his mate in his arms for the first time.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Hermione's POV

I opened my eyes slowly. At first I didn't know where I was, and I jolted slightly. I couldn't move my arms, and I was about to freak out even further until I realized I was in the infirmary, in a hospital bed.

I looked around, and noticed that the reason I couldn't move my arms was because I was in someone else's. I looked up, which was a mistake because I hit Draco in the chin with my head. I grunted in pain, but Draco didn't move. Did he fall asleep again? I asked myself.

The answer was apparently yes as I slowly removed myself from his embrace (which was not easy) and sat down next to him. What had happened? I remember being in extreme amounts of pain, but my friends had probably brought me down here to Madam Pomfrey. But that didn't explain why Draco was here.

Perhaps he came to check on me, I thought, Or maybe the pain you were experiencing affected him, too? Or maybe it was the other way around. Then what would have happened to him? He seemed fine. I was sore everywhere, but compared to the pain I had endured last night, I was fine. "Draco," I said quietly, and shook his shoulder gently.