Chapter 5: The Reveal

Draco's POV

Veela's are magical creatures found all over the world, but have origins in Bulgaria. Always a female, they are considered incredibly beautiful and are known to woo men easily and force them to do their bidding.

The last time Draco had checked he wasn't a woman.

They will have very light hair and pale skin that is said to glow under moonlight. But when threatened, they loose their beautiful, peaceful appearance and become more bird like. They are the most dangerous in this form.

Veela's also mate for life with one man once they become 18. Their mates are chosen for them, and Fate will make that person visible to the veela before it is too late. However, if the veela and it's partner do not mate before the Veela's 18th birthday, the veela and it's partner will not survive.

Wait, does 'mate' mean...

However early the veela recognizes it's mate, a special magic connection will make itself apparent once the two have shared a kiss. After this, they will share a mental bond, and their emotions will be known to each other at all times, especially to the veela half of the pair. The closer the Veela's 18th birthday is, the more protective they will become of their partner, and despite previous relations, it will  fall in love.

If they produce children, it is possible but rare for these children, male or female, to become a half-veela. Cases are much more common in females. these half-lings, like their full-veela mothers, will also mate for life at the age of 18, and the same mental bond will develop.

That explains it.

The history of the Veela goes back to the early 1800s when...

I had stopped reading then when I heard Madam Pince clear her throat. "The library is closing," she huffed.

I looked down at my watch. 10 o'clock? Seeing as I had no intention of reading about the boring history of 'my kind' I put the book back. I had all the information I needed. Walking down the corridor back to my common room, I thought about what I had read.

Mental bond, eh? Well seeing as I was pretty sure I didn't have any girl's  petty emotions whirring around in the back of my head, that hadn't happened yet.

But of course, who had I kissed? Other than Pansy, anyway. I breathed a sigh of relief. I don't think I could spend the rest of my life with her. I laughed to myself. This was almost too much. I have to admit, a mental bond was kind of cool, but the idea of becoming protective and in love with someone against my will was not my favorite. I need sleep, i thought, stressful day.

I approached the portrait of Dumbledore and was about to say the password when I felt a familiar pain in the back of my head. Oh, crap. I didn't need this to happen right now. I took a deep breath and grabbed the back of my head tightly, and thankfully, the pain subsided as quick as it had begun. I looked up, and saw that Dumbledore was looking down on me with concern. "Are you alright?" He asked.

"I'm fine, just a headache," I mumbled, "Aparecium."

The ex-headmaster raised an eyebrow at me, but the portrait swung open to let me in. Granger was sitting on the couch, reading a book, of course. "You're back late," she said in a monotone, not looking up from her book.

"Yeah," I mumbled.

She looked up, and I realized I was still holding my head. I removed my arm quickly. "No "Mudblood" today?" She asked.

It took me a second to figure out what she meant. "I'm not in the mood," I said sternly.

She sighed. "I figured I should tell you," she began, "I came into your room earlier, and you looked like you were in a lot of pain. Do you know what happened?"