Chapter 25: The Accident

Hermione's POV

"Are you sure you don't want to join us?" Ginny asked me as I took a seat on the front porch with a book.

"Gin," I sighed, "You know I'm no good at quidditch."

She nodded. "I figured I'd at least ask," she admitted, chuckling.

Her, Harry, George, and Ron were going to play a bit of quidditch out in the yard. I figured I would take advantage of the clear skies as well, and read outside. Even though there was a bit of snow on the ground, nothing would stop my friends from playing their favorite sport.

I was bundled up, of course, in a pair of jeans and a winter jacket. I had gloves, a hat, and my gryffindor scarf to keep me warm as well. I watched Ginny take off on her broom and join the boys in the crisp air.

I smiled to myself. Sometimes I envied them for having all that skill, and regretted never taking up flying myself, but I wasn't the athletic type. Even though all my friends could go out and have fun together doing something I couldn't do, I accepted it just wasn't my thing. Even so, I always enjoyed watching them play, and I always went to their matches.

"Watch yourself, Hermione!" I heard George call out.

I looked up, and barely missed a bludger that had been hit my way. "Ron, you simpleton, you could have killed her!" Ginny exclaimed.

"Sorry, Mione!" Ron said from above.

As the bludger returned to the playing field to go after a new target, I laughed softly. "Don't worry about it, Ron," I called back.

That could have been bad, I thought. Nevertheless, I've had worse injuries than that of which could be inflicted by a sports ball, no matter how dangerous. I returned to the book I was reading, one that I had borrowed from the Malfoy library.

After I had expressed interest in it, Narcissa had practically begged me to take it, so I did so gratefully. I was almost done with it now, and almost regretted not asking to borrow another one. I loved the Weasleys, but their home lacked a surplus of challenging reads to keep me busy.

As I turned a page, I heard commotion coming from above. "Watch out!" I heard Ginny screech.

But this time it was too late.

- - -

"If you weren't my brother I swear i would kill you right now, George," I heard Ginny screaming, "She could have died! You've been playing quidditch for years, and you manage to aim at the spot where she's sitting. I literally..."

She trailed off, spitting more insults at her brother. They were clearly both in the room, and where that was I wasn't sure. "Will you guys just shut up for two seconds!" I heard another voice exclaim that I didn't find familiar in the Weasley household, and I was in such a daze I couldn't put my finger on it.

"Quiet Malfoy," Ginny scolded, "I'm trying to teach me brother a lesson."

Malfoy? What was he doing here?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

(Beforehand)

Draco's POV

My mother and I were sitting in the library together when it happened, what I was worried about. I was watching the light snow fall outside and talking with her, when I paused mid-sentence.

The all-too-familiar pain in my body that wasn't mine. "Bloody hell!" I swore loudly, and stood up.

My mom looked up at me, still in her chair. "What is it?" She asked, concerned.