Entry 4

ENTRY 4

"Who's Mona Carter anyway?" I asked my mother.

"Language, Nina. Language." I rolled my eyes as I watched the bride walk in the aisle. We've been invited to a wedding and it feels absolutely horrible. I had to wear a yellow dress with dreadful frills that my mom probably picked at some thrift store for me. I had to pair it with painful stiletto heels and a hat. I've never worn a fancy hat except a cap.

"Mona is from my church group. She's been very good to me and she bakes pie for the neighborhood. She baked the pecan pie I brought you last weekend."

"Who's she marrying?"

"Adam Sullivan. He's a store manager in the meat shop across the baseball stadium. He has two children. His wife died a year ago."

"A year ago? He should still be mourning." My mom pinched my arm.

"Don't be so loud. Anyways, Mona is already 37 and he's very much attracted to her. It's her ticket out of old maids' club." Oh my goodness. Did my mother sounded like a gossiping suburban wife? I like this.

"Still, mom. He looks kind of old for her."

"Of course he is. He's 48 for crying out loud."

I want to laugh right now but I can't. We might offend the couple or offend the relatives and friends beside us. My mom suddenly sounded funny and I don't know how it happened. She hates gossips. She would shout at me and my cousin Sylvia whenever we gossip about the neighbors.

So, she's always been like that and I have no other choice but to chat with my cousin through Facebook. Luckily, my mother got me a MacBook in 8th grade and that I used till junior high. Anyways, we would gossip about all the boys at school and all the girls who get most of the cool guys at school.

We're just like your average teenagers except we're mostly indoors. Her mother just like mine, is also very strict and religious. We would sometimes wish we can go to bars, get wasted and randomly sleep with handsome strangers. Yes, we wished to be sluts for a day. It's not a sin, right?

So back to wedding, it all went well except when I winced when he kissed Mona. It was seriously disgusting. I could imagine his ageing saliva sliding down on her throat. And the most dreadful part is that they have to sleep together at night. He might ejaculate after three pumps and that's it. He's like a dried twig and goodness, I can't even imagine.

So we headed to the reception area, just on the tent outside the church. I guess the best thing that happened to that wedding was the strawberry shortcake wedding cake.

"Eat like a lady, Nina."

"I know mom but I got so hungry. The ceremony took too long and my legs are hurting from all that sitting. The cake is so good mom and I haven't eaten good food since last week. Midterms took most of my time. I reviewed all the time and I lack sleep."

"Okay, Nina. I'll add $400 on your allowance. Eat a lot and don't forget to restock your meds. You have allergies and also be careful on what you eat. You're getting so thin and ladies shouldn't look like a starved Victoria's secret model."

The day ended fine with mom giving her gift which is a juicer she bought at Walmart. Luckily, Mona was so kind to let me take home three slices of cake. I'm eating it as I'm writing my journal so you probably see smudges on this page. It's the icing.

P.S. I'll probably use Tinder tomorrow. I'm so full with the cake right now I can't even stretch my legs.

Love, Nina