twelve

(hoe my god, here's a very special chapter to celebrate our álvarito's birthday!!)

AUGUST 4TH 2016 || A ROOF IN THE CITY THAT NEVER SLEEPS

IT WAS A CLEAR STARRY NIGHT which was always a rare delight in New York City with all it's air pollution clouding up the sky. It was about half-past 8 and the sun had set half an hour earlier. The lights of the skyscrapers illuminated the city and was a sight for anyone who could see over them.

The first thing Álvaro noticed when they stepped onto the roof was that Klara shook. It wasn't the coldest of nights, but she wasn't exactly wearing something which could brave her for the cool weather. Álvaro shrugged off his suit jacket and handed it to her like a gentleman. His long-sleeved shirt would do enough for him anyway.

"Take it, Klaz. You're going to freeze in your dress," he said with a tight-lipped smile.

She didn't protest and slipped her arms into the warm jacket. There was a high raised platform which they could sit on, so they made themselves comfortable. Klara pushed her hair behind her shoulders and tucked up against her knees. Álvaro stretched out his legs in front of him and his hands stabled his weight from the back.

"What did you want to talk about Ál?" she hummed.

"Us," he blurted out, "You're right, you know,"

"About what? I'm right on a lot of things," she joked softly.

"Exes with a history like ours can't be friends without some sort of tension or feeling between," he puffed out, "Why am I still getting jealous?"

"I can't answer that for you," her heart began to race fast, "That's all you, Álvaro,"

"I- I don't think i'm over you," he admitted.

Her heart stopped for a split second, before she shook her head, "No, you don't know what you're saying Álvaro. You're over me. You have Alice,"

"I know exactly what i'm saying Klara," he began to get frustrated, but with himself and not her, "It's just that now we're back in the same city again, and i'm realising why I fell in love with you in the first place,"

Her eyes became watery and she refused to look at him from the sheer fact that she knew she would cry if she did.

"Please, Álvaro," her voice cracked in pain, "Don't get my hopes up,"

"I'm telling you exactly how I feel," he told her, "I'm realising once again how much I love your personality, and your voice, and all the little things you do. You still order the same thing at our favourite restaurant, you still like to bite your lip whenever you do my tie, you still hate going to fancy dinners like this because you feel overdressed or underdressed when the fact is that you look drop dead stunning. I love all these things you do,"

One stray tear left her eye resembling a scene in a dramatic chick-flick.

She shook her head in spite again, "You're just missing Alice,"

"And now that I have you almost in my life again, I find myself comparing Alice to you. Alice doesn't wrap her arms around my chest in the mornings and wake me up with kisses. Alice doesn't like marathoning TV shows on Netflix in pyjamas. Alice doesn't like taking walks in the park. Alice doesn't like having milkshakes and ice creams in Winter. Alice doesn't like doing things that we used to do together," he continued as he ignored her pleads.

"And yet you're still with her," she reminded him.

"I can easily break up with her," his tone was heartbreaking, but her heart was already breaking from the false hope he was giving her.