nineteen

19TH AUGUST 2016 || MADRID, SPAIN

"IT'S THRILLING," that was the answer Klara supplied Álvaro after he asked why she liked to keep them secret, "But of course i'd love to show you to the world again,"

They were sat on Álvaro's couch and it had been the first time she had come to his new apartment. Álvaro's lips were fiercely connected to hers, and they had been making out for a while. His hands were firm around her back, and her arms wrapped around his neck.

"I hate keeping you secret," he mumbled, "We should do it soon,"

She pulled back from him and gave a sad smile, "As much as i'd love to, what would everyone else think? You break up with your girlfriend, and less than two weeks later you have a new one,"

"But the media well and fully know that we were together for a really long time before. Alice never knew that," he countered.

She pursed her lips, "Raphaël will be unhappy,"

He pecked her lips finally, "But he can't stay mad at you,"

-

Inevitably, Klara agreed to tell Raphaël that day. She also told Álvaro that it would probably be best if he wasn't there, and so he dropped her off and she was waiting patiently for Raphaël to come.

The door was unlocked when Raphaël twisted the handle and he found her on the couch.

"Hey Klara, what's up?" he greeted her with a frown. She looked a little down.

"I have to tell you something," she began slowly, "You have to promise that you won't get mad,"

Raphaël cracked a smile, "Uh-oh, what have you done now?"

"Rafa! Promise!" she whined.

"Fine, whatever. I promise," he chuckled.

"Álvaro and I are back together," she rushed out.

Raphaël, taken aback and yet not so surprised, placed his head in his hands and groaned loudly, "I should have seen it coming. Why? Klara, Why?"

"Are you mad?" she asked timidly.

He shook his head meaninglessly, "Just answer the question, Klara,"

She paused and took a deep breath in. Why did she go back to Álvaro?

"I have history with him," she stated lamely, "So much history. And you know that I was never over him,"

"I know you're happy with him," Raphaël lowered his voice, "But I wish you'd just fall in love with someone normal; someone who doesn't travel every other week and doesn't have that threat of moving away in January or August,"

His words sunk into Klara and she pondered on it for the time he was silent.

"I'm just trying to warn you Klara. I want the best for you," he added, "But who am I to tell you no? You're already back together with him. You've known him all your life and I appreciate that. Why did you even feel the need to tell me in a circumstance like this?"

Klara's eyes softened, "You're my best friend, Raphaël. I wanted your opinion on us. I know you're just trying to help me, Rafa, and I love you for that,"

The Frenchman engulfed her in a hug, "Have you told him about the crash?"

And her heart stopped.

"I completely forgot about the crash," she admitted, "I'll tell him soon, I promise,"

-

"How did he take it?" Álvaro asked quiet over the phone before joking, "Is he coming to kill me?"