1.0 Phantomhive Image

Two months passed after Madam Red's death. She was slowly fading from everyone's minds. Winter was coming to an end, and Spring was fast approaching. The snow was beginning to melt and soon the gardens would bloom with all sorts of magnificent plants again.

Ciel was taking case after case from Queen Victoria in order to get Madam Red's death off his mind. I could not blame him, it was hard losing someone who you so deeply cared about.

Just like the day I lost my sister.

Her name was Banafrit, which meant beautiful soul.

She was one of the kindest people you would ever get a chance to meet, always so generous and quick to help others out. On her free days, she would purchase food from the market and feed it to stray cats. We even owned three cats because she begged our father to let them stay. I suppose this is why I can take the form of a black panther.

My father had a kind soul and would help her with her missions to make Egypt a better place. He was a military leader, yet he was exceptionally kind to all those around him, no matter their situation and where they came from. My mother did not have a job, as married women were expected to stay at home and be a perfect housewife.

Like we were taught to, my sister was training to become a perfect housewife. I was sixteen, while she was seventeen and betrothed to a man already. Seventeen was the age we were urged to get married.

Except she was never able to get married.

The week before her wedding, a fight broke out at the market. It was normal because it was the capital of the empire. Richer people lived around here, which meant good quality products would be sold.

That also meant more people trying to steal.

A merchant was holding a knife up to a slave's neck. Threatening to kill him for stealing one of his items. Except he had not. I remember because Banafrit and I were looking for things to buy.

This fight was different in my sister's eyes.

She tried to interfere, telling the merchant he had it all wrong and to calm down. Enraged, he let go of the slave and plunged the knife into my sister's neck. It killed her instantly. I told the authorities what happened. They killed the merchant by hanging him.

Some suns and moons later, my parents and I were standing in front of my sister's mastabas, a tomb. She was buried with jewels and other important things.

"May you be guided safely into the afterlife, dear sister."

Everything I did after was dedicated to her. Once I turned seventeen, I was betrothed and got married. I became a housewife and had a son.

But it seemed it was not good enough.

Maybe I did something wrong, and that was why I had to be punished by a demon. Punished to see multiple centuries pass with the rise and fall of different civilizations. Punished to see what my sister never had, over and over again.

"Emuishere, are you alright? You have been staring at the wall for some minutes now."

I waved it off, "I am perfectly fine, Sebastian."

There were days I would completely lose focus and remember my life as a human. Madam Red's death seemed to have triggered it. It has been so long since I was human, I was surprised to be able to remember all that I had.

"The young lord wishes to see you in his study," Sebastian informed me.

I nodded and walked to Ciel's study. There were papers scattered on his desk, along with a few pawns from his chessboard. Mey-Rin, Finny, and Bard were all standing there in a line.