1.2 Phantomhive Past

Did I just die?

Hesitantly, I opened my eyes and looked around. I was standing in a large field covered in lush emerald green grass and hundreds of flowers, ranging from brilliant purples, blues, pinks, and white. What was this place?

"Hebony..."

The voice sounded familiar, and a wave of nostalgia overcame me. I knew that voice, but I could not remember from where.

"Hebony...turn around..."

I did as the voice said and turned around. The sight was almost too much for me to handle.

My husband and son stood before me, smiling. Adom was now a young teenage boy compared to the small toddler he had been before I became a demon.

"W-what are you two doing here? What is this place?" I asked.

"Calm down my love, you are getting anxious. This meadow is where people in a near state of death go. Usually, you see family that has already passed on and are welcoming you to heaven, but you are different," Jahi said.

"I missed you, mom," Adom said.

I felt tears run down my cheeks, "I missed you too. But if you both are dead, how did you die so young?"

"You know how there was a plague in England around five hundred years ago? That happened in Egypt, which killed me and dad. Only a few people in the capitol survived."

"Do not worry about us, my love. We are finally at peace, and you will be too. Take my hand and we'll rid you of all the bad things. No more pain, no more suffering."

His words had me in a trance, and I felt myself steadily walking towards him, not hesitating to put one foot in front of the other. Jahi's smile grew wider as I came closer. Just as I was about to put my slim hand in his, I retracted it and took a step back.

The baby kicked. My child with Sebastian.

"I cannot do this. I'm sorry Jahi, Adom...but I am beginning to find happiness and peace already, as weird as that sounds. I have an unborn child with someone I love and hold dearly to my heart. If I hold onto the life I have right now, I will be able to find happiness."

Their eyes widened, but they nodded their heads. Slowly, they began fading away, as well as the grassy field. My boys waved their hands as I slowly returned to consciousness.

Angela's wings were still wrapped around us, and she looked in surprise as the last of my records returned to my stomach. I stood up and looked at her.

"You may have been able to take away precious things from me when I was alive, but I will not let you get away with it this time," I stated boldly.

Her eyes widened as Ciel came lower to the ground and his cinematic records were also retracting. Angela began backing up and flew out through a window, leaving a trail of feathers that continued to fall even as she flew away.

"We have to get back to the monastery. That is our best bet to finding her again," I sighed.

I walked to the door and pulled the brass handle, only to find it was locked. Sebastian tried opening a window, but they were also locked.

"Angela must have taken precautions and somehow locked the doors and windows when we didn't notice," Sebastian concluded.

"I know a way."

Sebastian and I turned around to see the Undertaker organizing books. He pulled out a pink bookmark from a brown leather-bound book titled Mathilda Simmons. It was Mathilda the Nun's records. I shuddered as I remembered how she did the horizontal tango with Sebastian.