Like Hurricanes

UPDATE: The author has changed the cover since the review.

TW: Jon Green hate below.

Title: Like Hurricanes

Genre: Teen Fiction

Blurb: Black cigarettes, lilac skies and poetry at 3 am: Pit's life is far from ordinary. Losing himself in the chaotic adrenaline of wild youth, he always feels misunderstood. Everyone knows him as the cute goofy idiot who hangs out with the popular crowd, ignoring the intelligent, caring boy beneath the surface.

After failing sophomore year, Pit is afraid of losing his friends. So he pushes himself to the extremes, always feeling like he needs to prove himself. But there's a quirky rebel girl who doesn't seem so eager to give up on him. Maybe she could be the one to remind him that he isn't as average as he wants to seem. That if he wants, he can be a hurricane.

~NEW SUMAARY~

Cigarettes, lilac skies and poetry at 3am: sixteen-year-old Pietro ''Pit'' knows the adrenaline of feeling empty and infinite at the same time. With the reputation of a goofy idiot who doesn't care about anything at all, getting held back doesn't seem like a problem. But it is. Because Pit cares about everything, and he always cares too much.

With the return of his best friend's childhood friend, Pit starts to feel replaced. Afraid of drifting apart from the group, he loses himself in hangovers, drugs and bad decisions. However, his new classmate Noemi Defelice knows that's not who he really is. Inspired by her hunger for knowledge and adventure, Pit wants to dive into a new life, but leaving behind bad habits means also leaving behind his friends, who now more than ever need his help.

Among thousands of questions that float through his mind, Pit starts to wonder - is fixing broken friendships more important than finding himself?

Status: Completed

~~~

Starting Points: 30

Cover: Absolutely dreadful. This couldn't be a more teen fiction cover. I don't know why you all do this; stop disrespecting this genre and get better covers. I know damn well you can get a more interesting cover—get it together. (-5)

Title: Very dramatic. Much corny. Very teen fiction. Much vomit. I think it works!

Summary: This is a pretty well done summary. But, of course I have things that are annoying me. The last one made the story look a little unappetizing, and seemed incomplete, but I'm not here to correct that one, so I'll move on.

-First problem: the opening sentence. Okay, it's not a huge problem actually; I'm simply picky.

-Suggestion: Cigarette buds, lilac skies, and [reading or writing?] poetry at 3am: sixteen year old, Pietro ''Pit'', knows the adrenaline of feeling empty and infinite at the same time. With the reputation of a goofy idiot who cares about nothing, getting held back doesn't seem like an issue—but it is. In reality, Pit cares about everything, and he always cares too much.

With the return of his best friend's childhood friend, Pit starts to feel replaced. Afraid of drifting apart from the group, he loses himself in hangovers, drugs and bad decisions. His new classmate, Noemi Defelice, grows an interest in him and has a feeling that's not who he really is. Inspired by her hunger for knowledge and adventure, Pit wants to dive into a new life, but leaving behind bad habits means also leaving behind his friends who need his help more now than ever.

Among thousands of questions that float through his mind, Pit starts to wonder: Is fixing broken friendships more important than finding himself?

Plot: Pit needs to get it together or he may fail sophomore year (which is odd as hell? Where I live you can't fail any grade in high school. You just need to have all of your credits and requirements to graduate by senior year—or you don't lol).