Chapter 20. Casey.

Maybe it was the misery, maybe it was the loss of hope, but I wasn't getting better anymore, I was getting worse. 

Right now, me and my Mom were in the hospital, and I just got admitted into my room. 

"Alright Casey," Dr. Nelson said, walking into the room. He was reading my medical charts. "We think we should keep you here for a while, until you start responding to the treatment again." My heart felt like it dropped. I was doing fine for a while, what was happening now? Why was this even happening to me? I didn't deserve this.

I took a deep breath, trying to remain calm. "How long?"

Dr. Nelson shrugged. "We aren't sure yet. But, we'll try to get you out of here as fast as we can. We're working on it." He patted my back, and I cringed, hating when he did that. I grabbed the remote to the T.V, and turned it on, flipping through the channels. 

"I'm sorry sweetie," My Mom apologized, looking sad. I didn't want to see her sad.

"I don't want to be here," I said, turning off the T.V. "Get me out." I was serious.

"I... I don't think I can," She answered. She bit her lip. "I wish I could, but you need to be here." 

"People in the old days didn't have doctors to help them! I don't need them! I can do this myself!" I could hear my voice getting louder, and I didn't care I was just angry. She tried to get me to quiet down. I wasn't going to stop. I felt to weak, I hated this!

"Shh," She said, putting her hand on my face. "Honey, stop. Your going to stress yourself out."

"No!" I screamed even louder. I got up from the bed, and walked out into the hallway, dragging my IV with me. I didn't know where I was going, but I kept walking. I was in my pajamas, I didn't care what people thought of me. I was intended to get out of here. 

"Casey Marie Gibson!" Mom called after me. I just walked faster. I walked into an elevator, and pushed a random floor. It was the floor that the cafeteria was on. I walked down the hallway, with white walls and floors, and it seemed like I was taking forever to get there, like the hallway was never ending. I was exhausted, and felt like I was going to fall asleep right there. 

But then, something awakened me. I saw a familiar face, a boy's face, being carried in a hospital gurney. The nurse looked like she was walking towards me, but obviously she wanted to take the boy up on the elevator. 

The red headed nurse noticed me standing there, and she looked shocked. 

"Help!" She cried out. "Someone help!" 

"Wait!" I exclaimed, out of breath. "What happened to him?" I asked, pointing to the boy in the gurney. I knew very well who he was.

Hospital workers rushed out into the hallway from a room next to me. "Is that a patient?" A man asked. Duh! Of course I was. Couldn't they see the IV? 

The man came over to me. "Honey? Are you taking a walk or did you need some help?"

"I was just taking a walk," I replied, feeling nervous from all the people staring at me like I was a freak. 

"Do you have a nurse with you?" 

"No." 

"Well, you need to." The man turned to the nurse with the gurney. "Will you take her up to her room real quick, or do you need to drop him off?" He asked, pointing to the boy lying there on the gurney. He looked unconscious. 

"Sure, I can take her. What's your name sweetie?" She asked, reaching down to hold my hand. How  old did she think I was?

"Casey Gibson," I responded. The Man looked in his charts.

"It says she's Room One Ninety One," He told the Nurse. I watched as the elevator door opened, and standing there was my Mom.

"I was looking for you everywhere!" She exclaimed, running towards me. "Don't do that again," She scolded.

"I was just about to take her back up to her room," The nurse explained.

I, Mom, the nurse, and of course the boy in the gurney, walked back upstairs, to the room I was staying in. It was boring in there. One small T.V, white walls, and a dry erase board for the nurses to write on. I was laying in a very uncomfortable bed, while my mom sat in a wooden chair next to me all day and night. She always looked tired, and it was obvious she couldn't really get any sleep.

The nurse covered me up with blankets and fluffed my pillow, like it was suppose to make me feel more comfortable. "Next time you go for a walk, make sure a nurse or your Mom takes you," She said, walking out the door.

"Wait!" I called after her. She turned around to look at me. "What happened to that boy?" I asked, referring to the familiar face in the gurney.

"Oh, you mean our patient, Corey?" She responded. "Do you know him, personally?"

I nodded. "Me and Corey, were dating for a year, but we broke up recently." I brushed my bangs out of my face. "Can you tell me what happened?"

She closed the door behind her, and walked over to me, her pony tail swinging as she did. "He was admitted just recently because of a drug overdose. I was just taking him up to get some blood work done."

My stomach turned, I could feel my face getting hot. "Drug overdose?"

"Yeah, his brother explained to us that he's been making some really bad decisions lately," She sighed. "It's really ashame." She shook her head. "He's still so young."

I opened my mouth, but I didn't really know what to say. Why should I care about Corey anymore? Maybe because he was the love of my life.

"You know, you can't tell anyone about this though," She said, looking at me for trust.

"I wouldn't," I replied honestly.

I wouldn't talk to anyone except for him.