Chapter 30. McKayla

Chapter 30. McKayla.

After an amazing dinner, I and Jeremy decided to go for a helicopter ride. I expected it to be very romantic. I didn't know that boys could be so creative when they chose places to go on dates. This was good for me, I deserved a boyfriend like Jeremy.

The thing was, I didn't really know if I liked him. He was really sweet, but I felt so desperate for a boyfriend, that I just said yes to Jeremy's request.

Jeremy hadn't been that forward though. He didn't try anything on me yet. He didn't even hold my hand. I didn't care, I liked moving things slow. It gave you something to look forward too, in a different date. I watched him, as he looked out of the helicopter window. "It's pretty," He said.

I agreed with him, and I looked out the window too. "Where are we going?"

"You'll see," He told me, winking.

My stomach dropped with that thought. He could be taking us anywhere. I wasn't prepared.

We finally stopped, and I looked out the window, again, thinking that we would be on land. We weren't, though. We were in the air.

The pilot got out of his seat, and turned to us, smiling. "Are you guys excited?"

Jeremy looked at me, grinning. "Excited for what?" I asked, confused.

"Skydiving, of course!" The pilot said. He tilted his head. "Oh, you didn't know?"

"No," I said, holding out the word. "Are you kidding me?"

"I thought you would want too," Jeremy said, looking ashamed.

"No way!" I said, screaming. "Get me down."

I slouched in my seat. No more romance. I looked at Jeremy, though, and I felt guilty. Without thinking, I put a parachute on my back. "Okay, I'll do it. Please help me put the parachute on?" The pilot did what he was told, and my heart beat fast in anticipation. This could be fun.

"Okay," The pilot sighed. "Here are the rules. When you see the red target, push this button right here on your parachute." He pointed to a red button by my hand. "The drop isn't too intense, but if you feel a little sick, here is a bag to dispose of your... wastes." He handed out two black bags. Barf bags.

"Have people died, skydiving?" I asked, out of curiosity.

"Not on my helicopter," He said. He breathed out and smiled. "Jump when your ready."

Wasn't there more rules to it than that? It seemed too easy. But I suppose it wasn't that hard.

I walked over to the edge of the helicopter, and a big door slid open. I put my toes off of the edge, and hesitated. We were so far up. Hesitating didn't help anything though. So I jumped. Fast.

My stomach dropped, like I was going down a really fast elevator. I looked up, and Jeremy wasn't far behind me. "You did it!" He yelled after me.

"Yeah, I did!" I laughed, it was so much excitement. My hair blew fast in the wind. I couldn't see anything except for blue sky and clouds. It was so cool!

"Are you having fun?" Jeremy asked.

"Kind of!" I yelled back. At least I tried it. Cecilia always told me that she wouldn't skydive for a million bucks.

You got use to the drop after a while. When we finally reached the target, I pushed the red button, and up my parachute went. It got slower.

When I landed, I high fived Jeremy. I was proud of myself. I wouldn't ever said it was fun, but I didn't hate it. Jeremy smiled, and it made me smile too.

~~

We didn't talk the entire way home. It was kind of awkward. We were walking, and walking, with no conversation at all.

"I had fun tonight," I managed to say.

"I'm glad you did," He replied. "I had fun too." He took his hands out of his pockets, and grabbed my left hand with his right one.

I left it there for a couple seconds, trying not to be rude. Honestly, I didn't want it there. I didn't want anybody's hand there.

I needed to think. I liked it a lot better, when I didn't have a boyfriend. I was free. I didn't have any stress. I just flirted. It was suppose to be like that when I was a kid. And in my book, I was still a kid.

"Jeremy, I have to be honest with you." I stopped walking, and looked him in the eyes. "I think we should be friends, though."

I expected him to look sad, or disappointed, but all he said was, "Same here."

"Really?"

"Yeah. I had a great time. But I'm not really over my last crush," He admitted. He bit his lower lip, and looked up at the sky. "Your a really great girl, don't get me wrong. But I like you as a friend. I don't want to ruin that."

His words made me feel good inside, maybe they made me feel relieved. Jeremy was nice. I was glad I had him as a friend. We just didn't seem right.

When we got to my house, I hugged him quickly.

"We have to hang out again," He said, smiling.

"True that," I answered. We both laughed. "Bye Jeremy." I opened the door to my house, and closed it behind me. The first time with a boy, were I didn't regret a thing.

~~

Later that night, I got a text that I didn't expect one bit. It was from Andrew.

It had said: Hey baby! I was thinking, maybe you should come over tomorrow. My parents are out of town, and so is my girlfriend. I'm lonely. See you then? ;)

I knew exactly what to type back.

I wrote: Are you kidding me? I wouldn't ever like you again in my life. You are a jerk. Get it through your head. Wow, it feels good to finally realize your an ass.

I didn't even read my text twice. It was the truth. I didn't need a boyfriend to be happy, and it felt great to know that. I just had to be myself.

I was the amazing, bold, smart, witty, gorgeous, McKayla McGregor.