Chapter 24. Casey

Chapter 24. Casey

My hair was growing back slowly, but it was enough to take care of. It looked like I just got a pixie cut, but it was better than wearing that itchy wig and looking bald. 

I smiled at myself in the mirror, forcing myself to feel more confident, even though I didn't like the way I looked.

One thing always made me believe in myself.

Finding that special guy that will like you no matter what you look like.

It seemed almost impossible to find, though. 

It was getting closer to summer, and from now until fall, there was a festival called, "Summer Fever," that took place downtown. It was like a street fair, with games, and live music, and tiny shops, and I loved it. It was my favorite thing to do in the summer, and last year, me and Corey came together about two times a week. 

Alice wanted to come with me, and she was meeting Kendall there, which secretly I was jealous of. I would be all left out, while they would be all in love and romantic. I wish love didn't hurt so much. 

Mom was driving me and Alice to the festival. She parked in front of Alice's house, and Alice ran out of the door in a matter of seconds, with a giant smile on her face. She had nothing to worry about. She was completely healthy, and beautiful.Her long blonde hair was wavy, and flowing in the breeze. Her dress complimented her eyes, because both were light blue. I was secretly jealous. It was like Alice noticed what I was feeling, because as soon as she sat down in the car she said, "Don't worry, your strangely beautiful." 

Alice used those words a lot. Strange wasn't bad in her vocabulary. It was unique. 

I see Mom smile in the rear view mirror. I know she's really happy for me. The good thing about this situation, is that I finally found a true friend. She'll be with me no matter what. I didn't have that when I was popular. People wanted to hang around me to be popular too. That was about it.

When we finally got to the festival, Alice practically flew out of the car in excitement. She obviously wasn't use to this. 

"Excited much?" I asked, giving her a light punch on the arm.

"You bet," She admitted. There was no fee to get into the festival, but there was for all the attractions and food. She ran towards the Snack Shack, and bought two blue raspberry snow cones. She handed me one, as she payed for both of us.

"You didn't have to do that," I said.

"Well, I did." She replied.

I took a bite of the snow cone, and it brought back memories. They were good memories last year, but they unfortunately turned to bad ones. She grabbed my hand, and dragged me over to the karaoke stage. She pushed me onstage. "Show the crowd what you got!" She said.

"No way!" I yelled, and hopped back offstage.

She gave me a look. "Do it, Casey. Before you regret it later."

Alice was the only person that knew about my singing talent. It wasn't a normal voice, though. My voice could get raspy at times, soft, and powerful. It did what it wanted to, even if I couldn't control it. Alice explained to me one night, "Your voice is meant to be heard. Your voice is meant to be famous." After she heard me that night, she had been encouraging me to showcase my talent. But I just couldn't dare myself to it. Until now. It was my chance. Alice probably didn't want to say it, but I might die soon. And if I did end up dying, I wouldn't ever show people what I was really made of. 

I stepped onto the stage, and looked around. There was about fifteen people watching me now. I could do this. It wasn't that many people. It was just karaoke. I looked at Alice as she whispered something in a employee's ear. After a couple seconds, "I Will Always Love You," By Whitney Houston came on over the loud speakers. My heart pounded. I had always loved this song. I was good at it too. But it was hard. 

I began singing, and realized it wasn't too bad. "If I should stay... I would only be in your way. So I'll go, but I know... I'll think of you every step of the way." 

When the chours came along, I noticed more people were stopping to listen. This part was tough. I looked at Alice and pretended I was just singing to her. She gave me a thumbs up, and I breathed in deep. "And I... Will always love you!" I began to get really into the music, and my heart beated faster with every second. It felt good to be on stage. People began to clap to the beat, and more people came to watch. Alice was smiling more than I've ever seen her smile before. 

When I finally ended the song, I estimated that probably more than a hundred people were watching. I hopped off the stage, my body shaking with nerves, and Alice whispered in my ear, "I'm so proud of you, Casey." 

"Thanks!" I yelled over the loud cheers. 

"We better get out of here!" Alice yelled. "Before we get trampled!" 

She took me by the arm, pulling me to wherever she was going. I couldn't even focus, I felt like I was flying, it felt amazing. I felt like I could do anything now. 

When we finally stopped, we were inside a bathroom. We were both out of breath, but I didn't care. 

"You were freaking, amazing!" She screamed.

"Really?" I asked.

"Yes! Oh my gosh, that was... amazing!" 

I couldn't stop blushing. It felt really good to get this much of a compliment.

Alice's cell phone buzzed in her pocket. "It's a reminder, to meet Kendall in front of the Lemonade Stand now. Let's go."

When we walked out, I breathed in and smelled the amazing smells of the festival. So much candy, and popcorn overwhelmed me with delight. 

Alice turned to me, while still walking. "Do I look okay?" 

"No!" I joked. She began ruffling through her purse for a mirror. "I was just kidding, Alice." Everytime she's going on a date with Kendall, she goes overboard on looking good. 

"Are you sure?" She asked.

"Yes," I assured her. I patted her on the back. "Your so pretty, you have no idea."

She smiled at me, and hugged me. I embraced her hug for as long as I could, because I would never know if that would be the last one. 

She backed up, and noticed him. Her happy expression completely faded away. So did mine.