•Part 5•

March 24th 1967

It was now drawing near to the end of March. Amelia was sat at her family dining room table back in Brighton as they tucked into their signature Sunday roast. She sat in between Lisa and David as they talked about what had happened recently.

"How has your first term been at University?" She asked David after finishing her mouthful.

"It's been wonderful, harder than I anticipated but that's life isn't it" he said sighing.

"And what about you Lisa, how has secondary school been?" She said turning towards her.

"It's actually been incredible!" She beamed.

Amelia was pleasantly surprised at her positivity because usually she was rather miserable.

"I've made tons of new friends and the lessons are easy" she said dragging out the last word causing her to chuckle slightly.

"What about you Amelia?" Her father said peeking up.

She gulped. It hadn't crossed her mind that she would have to tell them what had happened a few days ago. Her heart fluttered trying to think of a legitimate answer.

"Oh, well...you know," she cleared her throat and the family leaned closer "difficult as usual, nothing abnormal of course but just... a lot of work".

Her mother looked sceptical and unsure about her answer. But she kept her cool and smiled her usual warm smile causing everyone to continue with the delicious meal.

She took a good look around as her family talked some more. Amelia quickly came to the conclusion that she was pretty bored with her life. Everything was the same. She'd go to work, write or edit an article, have lunch, contemplate the blind, back to work then home and bed. Every few weeks she'd go home to Brighton and see her relatives then travel back. After finishing her meal she cleared her plate, washed it up then place her shoes and coat back on.

"I'm going to Grandmothers" Amelia said lightly.

"Are you sure you're alright Amelia?" Her mother asked from the dining room.

She sighed "Yes mother, I just need to occupy myself that's all" And with that she left closing the door behind her.

Now that Spring was on its way, the nights were becoming lighter meaning she could stay out later. Although she adored cold black winter skies, there was something in describable about the warm evenings that she also loved dearly. When she reached her Grandmothers she'd let herself in, knowing she couldn't remember how to unlock the door anymore, and called out for her.

"Hello Grandmother, it's Amelia here" She whistled hanging up her coat as she made her way into the dull living room once again.

She made a slight groaning and perplexed sound as Amelia sat down on the chair opposite her. Amelia didn't talk much until she placed the record on, knowing it was hopeless trying to make conversation when she didn't recognise her. But soon she came back to life hearing the familiar arrangements of Glenn Miller ringing throughout the home.

"Oh hello dear" she smiled as if she had just woken up "Is that Mr Miller I hear?" And smirked causing them to laugh.

"You are correct," Amelia said after composing herself "I fancied a bit of a-a"

"Perking up? Shall we say?" Her grandmother suggested.

"Yes. I feel so unsatisfied with my life in general, not to be dramatic, but I can't help it" she sighed as her grandmother nodded.

Amelia always felt that she could pour out her feelings to her grandmother because they were so alike in character. Even through her teenage years she would visit her whenever she fell out with people or school was becoming a little overwhelming.

Her grandmother hadn't changed, yet she suspected that her dementia was rapidly engulfing her and one day she would completely go. And not even the music was going to save her. Amelia forced the dreadful thought away and drew her focus back. They listened, hummed and tapped some more along to the perfect music. It had been a while since they had put this record on, in fact it had been a while since Amelia had seen her.