•Part 45•

July 30th 1968

Over a month later,  Amelia caught her husband playing at the piano.

"It's your day off and still you decide to be a musical genius" she said waltzing in with two cups of coffee.

"I know, I know" he said shaking his head "I must be barking mad".

"Oh you absolutely are" she replied plonking herself next to him on the stool.

"Show me what you're doing then" she said eager for him to play.

He smirked and then began to brush the keys in a familiar and springy fashion. Amelia frowned before bursting into laughter as she heard him play the song she had begun crafting a few months prior. She let him play whilst drinking her coffee and watched as he put his own spin on her tune. He then began to sing a new verse he'd penned in his mind fittingly;

"Martha, my dear
Though I spend my days in conversation
Please, remember me
Martha, my love
Don't forget me
Martha, my dear"

Amelia chuckled at his words, but thoroughly enjoyed the performance.

"So you've just made my song about the dog then" she said chuckling.

He continued to play whilst they talked.

"Yes I suppose I have. It just sounded more like something I'd say to her when I was singing the chorus earlier,"

He then began to sing once again,

"Hold your head up, you silly girl
Look what you've done
When you find yourself in the thick of it
Help yourself to a bit of what is all around you
Silly girl"

Amelia nodded agreeing with his thought process and didn't mind at all that he'd taken something she'd started. If anything, she felt honoured.

"I suppose Martha is you personified" Paul remarked but slightly seriously.

Amelia laughed, but understood his logic.

"Hold your hand out, you silly girl
See what you've done
When you find yourself in the thick of it
Help yourself to a bit of what is all around you
Silly girl"

She continued to giggle, "That is good".

"Well, it's yours really" he replied.

"I'm glad I could be of assistance" she said gracefully standing up and bowing next to him, causing him to laugh too.

"Now, I'll let you get on Mr McCartney. Keep playing!" She instructed.

"Yes sir!" He saluted her mockingly.

Paul then continued to play for a number of hours switching between his acoustic guitar and the piano. In this time, he had begun writing numerous new compositions for the album which would later go on to become the songs "I Will", "Honey Pie" and "Why Don't We Do It In The Road?".

But at one moment, he paused as a brand new melody crept into his brain. It came to him whilst working with the piano but felt it was fit for his acoustic guitar. Once he picked it up again, he tried to figure out why this tune sounded familiar to him. He then started to play a classical piece that him and George had learnt years ago on their guitars which featured intricate picking patterns and unique echoes shapes. Paul then progressed this into what he was hearing in his head and developed a beautifully original song. At this moment, he was also feeling rather low after reflecting on the lack of enthusiasm from the other boys during their time in the studio recently. Occasionally, they'd have urges of excitement and musical breakthrough, but the rest of their time was full of arguing and heated discussions. But then his thoughts moved to what he had witnessed in the news that week. He had read about the continuing racial discrimination that was occurring in the United States and that saddened him more than anything. He couldn't comprehend how people were being treated purely because of their skin colour and hoped that one day, the world would be a better place.

So Paul sang out his feelings in the tone he felt was appropriate and hummed where words would be. He eventually developed some lines that he thought fitted whilst he repetitively played his new acoustic rhythm he had invented.

And needless to say, he was rather impressed with it.

As if on cue, a small blackbird began to sing outside of the window of their music room as the warm breeze blew that day. He felt like the bird was singing along with him and decided to use this as his muse.

"Blackbird singing in the dead of night,
Take these broken wings and learn to fly,
All your life,
You were only waiting for this moment to arise"

He felt himself becoming emotional at these words, but still he pressed on.

"Blackbird singing in the dead of night,
Take these sunken eyes and learn to see,
All your life,
You were only waiting for this moment to be free"

He paused for a moment, taking in what he had just sung. He stared out the window, waiting for the blackbird to start singing again. In time it did, which snapped him out of his daydream. He felt this moment was very poignant, matching the feeling he had when writing Yesterday.

"Blackbird fly, blackbird fly
Into the light of a dark black night"

Paul continued to pluck the soft tune he had created as he found it so delightful to listen to. Little did he know, Amelia was stood in the door way with tears streaming down her face. Never in all her life had she heard something so heavenly. Even though she knew the extent to her husbands talent, she was astounded at the sounds he was making from the strings. Once he rounded up the song after singing it through multiple times, she finally spoke.

"That might be the best song you've ever written" she stated simply.

Paul turned to look her and saw her tear streamed face which his matched in return. They both began to cry together, yet they were not completely sure for the exact reason. Perhaps they were both just overcome with emotions simply because the melody was so extraordinary.

Whatever it was, the song was a masterpiece, but it was unlike any other song he had made and he knew he had just created something staggering.