Chapter Eleven: The Waterfall

"The stars twinkled in his eyes, and the sun itself warmed his smile. I knew I might burn. But I just had to inch a little closer". ~ The Dreamer

Callia

The next morning

I walk down the stairs of my home, already showered and dress in my usual jeans and T-shirt. My long hair is tied up and out of the way.

I step off the final step as my parents, who are dressed in their usual business attire, rush out of the kitchen with travel coffee mugs in their hands. They wave a quick goodbye before they bustle out of the door.

Being use to their quick departure, I simply shrug it off and continue my way into the kitchen. I'm not really hungry at the moment, so I decide I'm going to make myself some much needed coffee.

Warm cup in hand, I stroll out onto my small front porch, and sit down on the dark wooden steps. 

Sipping on my delicious coffee, allowing the heat of the mug to warm my hands, soothing me. I watch as the morning light filters through the trees that surround my home. Lounging back against the steps, I feel relaxed as I sit in silence, only breaking it when I greet fellow Sirens as they walk along the path that is in front of the home with their unique wings swaying behind them.

Here, there are no roads or any gas powered vehicles, there are only dirt paths in amongst the trees that we can walk down if we choose not to fly to our destination.

I swallow the remainder of my coffee before rising up onto my feet. I go back inside and wash my mug in the sink, before letting it dry on the drying rack. Turning around, I pause. 

I lean back against the kitchen bench, my fingers clenching the marble counter tops as I glare at the paperwork my mother and father had 'accidentally' left on the counter smack bang in middle of the kitchen.

Without even having to read the papers, I already know it's an application to join my parent's booming Architecture Company that is situated on this island.

They say I need to apply like anyone else rather than them just handing me the job because it would be unfair to others.

But the thing is, I don't want the job.

I want to be a trainer. I want to teach younger generations of Sirens how to defend themselves, how to fight. 

I want to be a warrior.

But my parents argue that it is not a good profession for a female to pursue. 

To say that that phrase alone started a major argument between us would be an understatement. They had eventually chosen to leave it for the time being, but I guess now that I am twenty-one and have 'completed' my Rite, they reckon it is now time that I join them at their company.

Well they got another thing coming.

Because I refuse to be made into something or someone I am not.

Gritting my teeth as my anger spikes, causing me to march forward and crunch up the papers in my fists before throwing it into the nearest bin.

I swiftly shove my feet into my boots and then I'm outside, slamming the door shut behind me before I run down my steps. Unfurling my wings from my back, I leap into the partially cloudy sky, needing to get away.

To escape. 

Usually when I have the need to get away, I go to either the training facility or to Proteus, and yet strangely I find myself flying in the opposite direction of both.