Epilogue: Everything

"She wore a thousand faces all to hide her own". ~ Atticus

Nerissa

How is this right?

How is this fair?

These are the questions that run through my mind as I stand in the silent corridor of the infirmary, staring through the small gap between the door and the frame.

Callia and her human boy lay sleeping in each other's arms.

How sweet.

Callia's wing that I had broken is draped across the human, and I wonder if he even knows that that is a major sign of trust. That not only does she allow him to touch her wing but also she bares her greatest weakness before him while she sleeps, leaving herself utterly vulnerable once again.

I roll my shoulders trying to ignore how uncomfortable I am, how wrong I feel.

It's like I really need to crack my back, relieve myself of its pressure but nothing works.

Only one thing would give me relief.

To feel the familiar weight of my speckled wings behind me. To free them from their confines.

But I can't.

They are bound inside my back by a spell The Council had placed on me as punishment because of her, because of that human.

For hours after the spell, I had lied on the floor in my small house, screaming for them to come out.

But they didn't.

I have no control over them.

And I hate it.

But as I watch Callia lie utterly trusting in the arms of her mate, I hate this even more.

After everything she did, the rules she broke; she gets a chance.

She gets everything.

The job she wants. Respect from The Council. Her wing healed. Loving friends. A family. And a mate that clearly loves her too.

And she had been going to throw it all away for just the measly chance of him living.

My heart aches pitifully in my chest at everything she has.

What I will never have. Because of... 

I quickly slam that door in my mind shut.

I grit my teeth as I turn my pain into anger.

I prefer anger, it makes me stronger, it gives me control.

I tightly grip the door frame in one hand, the handle in the other as I gladly let the rage consume me. Holding me in its cold, familiar embrace.

Loosening my white knuckle grip, I silently step back. Closing the door, the click barely audible to my own ears.

Turning away, I walk down the hall, a small smile making its way across my lips.

Enjoy it all while you still can Callia, for the world is cruel and nothing good ever lasts.

I'll make sure of it.