Chapter Twelve: Doll

Nate

Couple days later

Days have gone by since Callia first showed me that beautiful waterfall, and just over a week since she had saved me from drowning in the sea. We have hung out every single day since then, when Callia can sneak away of course.

During the day we chill out beside the water's edge of the watering hole and at night we sit in front of the crackling fire, either talking, eating, or playing one of those old board games.

Playing seems like too kind of word to use when it comes to Callia, who I found out can be quite competitive. She blames it on her best friend, Proteus, for the competitive streak she has.

At the moment, I sit beside the stream at our usual spot in the grass, watching the waterfall in the light of the afternoon sun. I lie back on the soft, green grass, looking up at the bright blue sky that I can see through the gap in the canopy of trees.

I use to think that nothing could beat the colour of the sky, but I was wrong. 

Nothing can beat the colour of Callia's azure eyes, especially when they are shining brighter than any star. Her perfectly straight, brown hair is smoother than any chocolate. Her fair skin, that of a porcelain doll, unmarred, perfect, flawless almost besides her scarred hands, but it suits her, because those scars are a part of who she is. Then there's her wings, darker than any shadow, as black as a starless night, beautiful, just like the creature that they are attached too.

Lia, her nickname whispers through my mind, causing me to smile. It fits her well, but I reckon the name Doll, would suit her far better, I think as my smile becomes a smirk.

I wonder how she would react if I were to call her Doll?

She'd probably threaten bodily harm, but I know she would never hurt me. She may be a supernatural creature that has wings, and probably could easily cause me harm, but she is far to kind and good hearted to do such a thing. Which is way, even with her wings always out, I tend to forget she is not human, that she is different to me.

I even found out that she is only two years younger than me.

I know I should probably be worried about going back to the Coast, about going home, but amazingly I'm not. Lia has successfully kept my mind off of it, and has, as you can easily see, possessed my thoughts instead.

Suddenly her beautiful, smiling face, pops into my view as she stands above me. It's like she could hear me thinking about her, and came running. Not that I'm complaining.

"Hey Nate, what you doing?" She asks as she plops down beside me, cross legged, facing the water.

"Just relaxing backing, enjoying the view", I answer as I sit upright, mirroring her position, but I'm facing her instead.

"It is beautiful", she breathes, those pink lips still stretched into a wide smile, showing off her perfect, straight white teeth.

"Yeah, it is", I reply, but I'm not looking at the waterfall, but at her, the beautiful creature beside me. Today she is wearing a dark grey shirt that says in black letters, 'Never Give Up', a pair well-loved blue jeans, and she is currently barefooted, showing off her delicate pale feet that her black boots usually hide. Her ebony coloured wings sit idly behind her on the soft grass. Her long hair is tied up in a high ponytail on her head with a couple of stray strands that must have gotten loose on her flight here, framing her face.

Very different to the day I met her, when she wore a long black dress and her hair down, but I prefer her this way, it's more like her.

She turns her head in my direction, and catches me gazing at her, her porcelain cheeks become pink under my observation, causing me to smirk.