Chapter 31

I could've done this by myself. I can't help but think. I'm an idiot, risking all their lives. On the inside I'm beating myself up. I see Ross and Jason look at each other. The mated bond, they know what I'm thinking because I forgot about it. Immediately I block them and look at my food trying not to look at the people I love whose lives are in danger. I look up and Ross is bending down at the knees his face level with mine sitting down. I look at the way his pants form around him trying to avoid looking into his eyes. Nothing can change how much I hate myself for dragging them into this. For them having to be part of a world changing prophecy, for having to share their mate, for being my mates. A tear trails down my face and Ross puts a hand under my chin. Lifting my chin so I'm looking into his eyes. He wipes the single tear off of my face with his thumb.

"All of us are here, because of our faith in you. Not just because you're our mate or whatever you are to Dean." He gives a quick respectful nod to Dean, "We are here not because some prophecy told us you were the person who could bring peace. But because we, through respect, and experience know how strong and determined you are. You are the best of us. In the worst of times."

"Hell you even got lover boy being all sentimental in public." Neal chuckles getting a low growl from Ross who has tight veins. Dean slaps him on the back of the head and looks at him annoyed.

"Are you trying to get killed? And at least he's not gay." He says and glitches away. Nate narrows his eyes at the vampire speeding away and puts a hand on my shoulder.

"What I'm trying to say," He glances at Ross, "Is you make the strongest most feared men, feel safe under your command, as well as the weak. You are an amazing leader and with your skills and heart, anyone would follow you anywhere." Ross nods in agreement.

"Thanks sorry for being like this." I say making sure I completely block off my mind. Jason walks up and offers me a hand. I take it, he pulls me into him kissing my forehead.

"Before we leave tomorrow..." Neal looks at Jason who nods almost in encouragement, "Can I talk to you alone Alex?"

"Of course." I tell him and Jason lets go of my hand and I follow Nate into the woods. Nate turns to me and I run into him due to the sudden change in pace. He pulls my face into his and kisses me with so much need. I kiss him back running my hand through his hair. This isn't a sexual kiss more like a goodbye, or in this case good luck kiss. He pulls away and puts his forehead against mine.

"Can I mark you?" He says. "I know it's abrupt and the timing-"

"Yes." I tell him interrupting him.

I tilt my head away from him offering my neck. He looks at me hesitantly, he kisses were he will mark me. He sucks the area and bites down causing pain then pleasure. Ecstasy courses through me, my whole body shudders and I would've fallen if he wasn't holding me up. He licks the bite mark closing it.

He pulls off his shirt and tilts his neck away from me, revealing an old mark. His old mates, I've seen it before but I've never put it together before now. I realize now why he waited so long to mark me, he'd of wanted me to mark him in return. But then his old mates mark would vanish and be replaced with mine. A tear falls down his face. I step towards him and wrap my arms around his neck. I kiss his tear and pull our foreheads together. We both close our eyes. He wraps his arms around my waist.

"I know that pain will be there forever, but it was worth it during the time you two had together." He nods. I kiss the mark his mate had given him before she died.

"If you don't want me to mark you Nate, I completely understand." Even though my wolf would forever fight me I could hold her back.

"I want, no I need you to mark me." Nate says looking into my eyes. "I loved her to death, but I love you just as much, you kept me alive." He says. "You are the only reason I didn't follow her." He says.

"What about a tattoo?" I ask him. "Over your heart or above your jeans, of her mark. That way she will always be apart of you." Another tear falls down his face, I wipe it away with my thumb.

"That's a great idea. Wherever she is, I know she would've loved you." He kisses my forehead.

"Would you like me to wait or to take a picture of it, before?" I ask.

"No need it's etched into my brain. And Jason has every person past and presents mark." He smiles at me. "I've been waiting so long for this. Go ahead."

I kiss him softly. Then I lace his neck with kisses I suck on the place I'm gonna mark him. I send up a prayer to the moon goddess that his mate is happy, and I thank his mate for loving him while she was alive. Then I extract my wolf fangs and bite into him. I feel him shudder and hear him moan, he almost falls but I hold him up. I retract my fangs and lick the holes healing them.

"I love you so much." I tell him and kiss him on the lips gently.

"I love you." He says and kisses my forehead. "Always have."

I wrap my arms around his neck again. "Ride?" He asks. I nod lazily. "Jump."I do as told and wrap my legs around his torso. His hands on my bum supporting my weight. He walks me back to the camp.

Jason nods to us respectfully and keeps on cooking a couple rabbits over the fire. Dean walks in and throws something to everyone except me and Nate. They each put things in their ears. Both me and Nate yawn. "You won't need those tonight." Nate says as he brings me into our tent. We get comfortable under the blanket and I wrap myself around Nate. Facing each other, he kisses my forehead and we fall asleep.

I wake up to yelling. None of which voices I'm familiar with. Quickly expecting the worse I change into my war outfit and grab my weapons. Nate immediately shift but he forces his wolf to follow my lead. "Make sure everyone is up." I whisper and slip out of the tent. Our camp is surrounded a few of their team drops. Ross.

"Stop," I mindlink them. "Come to me, please." He growls through the link not liking me give him orders, but then grunts. Suddenly he appeared next to me. I look around he slipped through unseen. "We need to know why they're here. Especially if he wanted me on his team I don't understand the need to send warriors." I tell the group that circled around me us all on our knees trying to stay out of sight. They nod in unison.

I stand up as do they. I whistle loudly once we are in a clear area. "What are you doing here?" I ask the person who steps forward.

He sneers at me. "We don't want the devil's whore in this war." He growls and lunges for me. Ross steps forward and slits the guys throat in an easy movement of his sword.

"Now can I fight?" He looks at me. I can't quite tell the tone of his voice. Maybe annoyance with my earlier decision. Before I answer him I look at the enemies closing in.

I look back at him, "Now we all fight." I tell him and run into the fight. I weave through the people my fighting skills honed. Almost like a professional dancer, a kill with each step. Nothing I should be proud of, but in a way I am. It makes me feel more powerful, but later I know the faces of those I kill in battle will haunt me.

Suddenly, someone catches me off guard. He rolls over-top of me, I'm pinned down. I don't panic until I see that Nate's been cornered by two vampires. And there is no way he's getting out without help. I look into the eyes of my captor. A rabid wolf in human form. I can't get out, foam from his found drips onto my shirt. He shakes his head and it goes everywhere. I look at Nate watching him. A vampire goes to bite him I yell "Nate!" Suddenly the person on top of me is on fire. I push him off of me, not looking for the source I run vampire speed to Nate. I body slam the vampire on top of him. The vampire turns his head and bites my shoulder. I his in pain, he doesn't let go as we travel to the ground. The taste of my blood too strong to resist. I look around for help the fighting was dying down, with me and Ross on the team as well as an Alpha a Beta and 3 vampires two of which are vampire hunters, we are winning. I start to get lightheaded, and someone hits me from behind.