I want to be with you

Ayan

"Hello Mom." I said. I was very nervous to speak to her. It had been years since I spoke to my mother about anything regarding my father. Each time she tried to talk to me about him. I left the place. Now when I actually had to, I was nervous. Very nervous.

"Ayan, what's the matter? Are you alright?" She said and concern was clearly evident in her voice.

I didn't know that she could tell by  my voice that I was upset and I am sure that worried her more.

"I need to talk to you about something." I said and then there was silence on the other side for a few seconds.

"You're scaring me Ayan. Are you okay? Its 3am." She said and I knew if I probably didn't tell right now she would have a high blood pressure.

"I have to speak to you about Mr Brooke." I said. I heard a groan from the other side because I said Mr Brooke and she hated that. Since the day he left  I have stopped calling him Dad.

"What you want to know?" She said and yawned. I guess she was sleepy. Of course you idiot. You have called her up in the middle of the night.

"Is Mr Brooke a good man?" I asked and I saw Veronica's surprised look. She looked so adorable when she looked at me like that trying to digest all that was happening around.

"That is your question? He is the best man I have known. He is kind hearted, intelligent, caring and honestly the most good looking man I have ever met." She said and I knew by the way she was stating his qualities she still had a soft spot for him.

"If he is such a good man. Why did he leave you?" I said mockingly at her. She was wrong to still praise the man who did that to us. He ruined my childhood.

My sister Laura and I used to long for my father on sports days, parent teacher meetings and so much more.

Did he come? No. I cried to my bed everyday because I didn't have my father like the other kids did and somewhere I knew Laura did too. She has no right to praise him when he did all this to us.

"He didn't leave me. It was our mutual decision to go on different ways. He was a very good man and I cannot deny that. He loved me, I knew he did but it didn't work out Ayan. It happens. People are madly in love with each other but sometimes they aren't compatible enough. Rather than hurting ourselves we decided to live our lives separately." She said and I cant believe she was defending him. It boiled my blood.

"Why do you have to do this all the time mom? Why defend him all the time? If he was so good, why did we move away?"

"I cant believe you think so lowly of your father. When we decided to part ways, he was the one who was ready to keep both of you, but I insisted that I should get one of you. He didn't want to keep both of you separately. He gave both of you to me. He did all this so that both of you don't have to live separately."

I was shocked by the kind of information I was getting. Did I misunderstand him? Was it my fault?

"You shut him out of your life. You didn't let me explain  nor did you meet him. Did you know that he made sure that he was there for each of yours and Laura's school functions, no matter which part of the world he was in."

It was difficult for everything to settle in. I was stupid. I was so stupid. Suddenly all the times when he tried to contact me came flashing before me.

I snapped at him, sometimes I said harsh words, there were times when I didn't receive his calls. Still, he tried to speak to me politely each time he could.