I love you

Veronica

We sat there for a long time comfortable with each other in the silence. It wasn't awkward, none of us had to do the small talk. It is then that I realised that we talk to each other because we want to not because we have to.

"Thank you so much Cookie."

"For the thing with your father? You have to stop saying that." I said and I was genuinely tired of him thanking me for the same thing again and again. I didn't do anything, I just helped him get his feelings out.

"For that of course but also for making me who I am." He said and it took me by shock. I didn't see this coming and it was a big thing for me.

"What do you mean?"

"Look at me now and see the Ayan that met you on the first day you started college. I was that reckless young boy who didn't care about anything. You know the day you came to college I did something so stupid but now just look at me. I am behaving like a mature person. Understanding situations, getting my way out, adjusting and most importantly telling people that I love them. I never imagined this version of myself and love this version of myself." He said and I felt so good to see him so happy.

After all this I am certain about one thing. His happiness matters a lot to me. I didn't know I would be saying something as cliche as this but his happiness can light up my mood at any moment.

"You just want to keep sitting here or leave?" He asked suddenly trying to change the topic. He hates it when he expresses his feelings. It makes him feel less of a man and I think that is stupid. How will one understand if he doesn't express?

"Let's go its been a long day afterall. I really wanted to see that carnival though."

"You do? We can always go back." He said as we started walking towards the exit.

"No no. It has been a long day. You look very tired too. Let's just go back. You were up all night yesterday worried about the Lucas thing. Take some rest." He genuinely looked very tired and exhausted.

"You wanted to go so let's go. I don't have a problem in going." He said but his eyes and body were speaking a different story. His eyes begged me to let him go and sleep.

"We don't have to complete everything I wish for."

"Yes we do. Anytime you ask me for something my heart just can't say a no. Till the time I don't see the happiness on your face after we have done the thing, I am just not satisfied. I keep on thinking about ways to make you happy."

Sometimes when he says those things they seem too good to be true. Each time he says something nice to me I wonder if it is not a dream because if it was, my heart would be broken into million pieces.

If it was a dream, I would still live it to my fullest because it was with him.

"Why Ayan?" I asked and he looked at me. That was a question with both of us were dreading since a long time. He didn't say a word, neither did I. We stared at each other recalling all the amazing memories and all the moments we had.

He wanted to say something and I wanted to hear it but somehow both of us were unable to do it. His eyes still didn't leave mine. Suddenly, he broke the eye contact and walked away without saying a word.

A part of me broke, I really wanted to know the answer. What was between us? There was a lot of care, concern, admiration and so many other things that words couln't describe. I put all the feelings to rest and walked out.

He was already seated in the car and as soon as I sat he drove. He drove in silence. I felt a little hurt by the way he was acting but I decided not to question him again because if he didn't answer this time it would be it.