Chapter 18- Just Like A Dream

Adam's POV

My eye slowly drift open, and it takes them a moment to adjust to the light. I blink blearily and snap to alert as I identify the object three inches away from my nose.

"Don't move an inch, Adam. Even flinch and I will put this bullet into your brain." Mitch growls. His handgun is pointed directly at my forehead, where the morning light gleams on the barrel. I calmly train my eyes on him.

"Mitch, you're back!" There's a gasp. "What're you doing?"

Mitch glances back for a second then trains his attention back to me. "Olivia, don't come any closer. Get Anne and Gerald. Now."

There's the sound of footsteps and muffled voices from upstairs. I allow my eye to drift up towards the sound, then shift slowly back to Mitch. Footsteps pound down the stairs, and I hear Gerald speak.

"What's all this? Why do you have a gun pointed to his head?"

He flashes a look back towards them, then down towards me. "Clearly he hasn't introduced himself. At least, fully."

"No, he hasn't. He was in a right state last night when he got here. Bleeding from about everywhere you can bleed without being dead. So no, he hasn't introduced himself yet." Gerald says.

Mitch grunts. "If he did, you might not have been so willing to help him. Adam, why don't you introduce yourself?"

I roll my eyes sarcastically at him and sign when he just raises his eyebrows at me. Already knowing how this was going to play out, I raise my hand off the couch and wave sadly at Gerald, Anne, and Olivia.

"Hi, I'm Adam, I think Dahlburg. Ex co-leader of the Cavets, ex member of team crafted, amnesiac, and unsure of what is happening in the slightest."

Mitch snorts. "You're forgetting something."

I shrug as casually as I can manage. "Nah, don't think so."

He raises his eyebrows and turns back to them, careful to keep the gun aiming at me.

"Meet Adam. Member of the Cavets, ex leader of Team Crafted, and assassin. There we go, that's the one."

Anne gasps. "Assassin?"

Mitch nods while I shake my head anxiously at their wide-eyes, feeling my own fear build inside my stomach.

"Huh. I seem to remember you singlehandedly fighting you're way out of our base, taking down all of Team Crafted minus me, with several wounds." He spits.

Someone gasps.

I point at him. "Hey, I was healing. Besides, I had no clue what to think. Still don't, honestly."

He rolls his eyes. "No idea what to think? You knew perfectly well what you were doing. I just don't get how you can change so much. We were friends before. We worked together."

My voice drops an octave. "We worked together? What was our job?"

Olivia squeaks and covers her mouth with her hands. Mitch raises an eyebrow at me.

"What's with the sudden interest?"

I shrug. "Uh, I know nothing of my past life and you guys are the only ones who can tell me."

He continues to glare at me suspiciously. "What, did the Cavets tell you that you were one of them?"

I nod slightly. "Yes. That is why I am questioning everything I know as we speak."

His mouth opens into an o shape. "Oh. I'm guessing you didn't listen to a lot of our revival attempts?"

"You said a lot of weird crap, honestly." I say.

Mitch looks slightly amused. "Weird crap. That sounds right. We were describing you, Adam. Everything we said, screamed, squealed or grunted at you you most likely said to us."

I cock my head. "Wheezy? Seriously?"

He laughs. "Oh yeah. You went through a wheezy stage." He suddenly seems to remember he doesn't trust me, and his mask snaps back into place.

"What's made you question your life all the sudden, Adam? You seemed plenty happy to kill us before."

I glance down at my body, knowing full well that several of my cuts were visible. "Uh, the Cavets don't exactly treat supposed spies nicely."

He falters slightly frowns. "They thought you were a spy?"

I nod. "As soon as I got back they threw me into a cell. Cavet Jason kept coming for me and asking for answers.... Trying to get me to 'drop the act' as he says." I mimic quietly. Even now, I flinch slightly from the blow that would have come from the remark.

Mitch exhales loudly through his mouth and crouches down next to me, sitting back on his heels. "So now you don't know what to trust, who to trust, or what to do. You must be terrified out of your mind."

I grin slightly. "Surprisingly not, although you lowering the gun might've helped." I lie.

He glances at his gun as if surprised, then tosses it behind him.

"Nah, I don't think I need it. I think you're being honest."

I nod. "I am. Are you? The Cavets acted like friends. They acted like they knew my whole life."

"Ummm, let's see." He says. "Well, you wanted to know what our job was. We were youtubers. Your alias was skydoesminecraft. Ring any bells?"

I shake my head. "No."

He sighs. "You don't remember anything?"

Certain things. I remember certain things. Only the stuff I've had dreams about.

"Uh, not really."

"Damn. Lets see, how can I convince Adam Dahlburg that I know him. Only things he should know. You have a tattoo on your shoulder that you got in Hawaii once. You've had a total of two girlfriends. You've been engaged once but broke it off."

My mouth opens. Just like my dreams. "The girlfriend I was engaged to. What was her name?"

"Dawn."

Just like my dream. I grin. "I think I remember."

Mitch smiles widely. "Nice to hear. Now that we have recovered a bit of your memory, how would you feel about coming back to Team Crafted?"

I bite my lip hesitantly. "They don't exactly trust me, and I can say the same thing about the Cavets in full honesty."

He claps me on the shoulder. "You'll be fine. I can talk to Ian. Ty and Jason have missed you like hell. They fought Ian the most about you. I missed you. Now, as for why I'm here."

He stands up and walks into the kitchen. From my position on the couch, I can still hear him.

"Gerald? Would the tunnels be safe to move like, tons of people through?"

"Sure. Why? Who you moving?"

"My group. It's getting way to dangerous with all the Cavets. Some of the tunnel people left after the first fight, but we've also picked up a few strays around the area. We're just not strong enough to fend off another attack right now."

"Where you gonna take them?"

"I don't know. We'd probably go join the rest of the tunnel people or find a new place somewhere far off. I just wish we knew how big of a problem the Cavets are."

"Big problem!" I shout, unable to resist the lure of conversation on something I could actually help with.

He pokes his head through the door. "What?"

"Dude, they're a huge problem. They want Team Crafted out. They hope to control all of ,Um, wherever we are. Cavets are all over the idea of domination." I explain.

He nods as he processes the information. "Right. So, if I went to get my group now and got them organized by sundown, we would be able to get here by about midnight, right? I want them out now."

"Yeah. If you were to head out now, you'd probably get back around 3. You could pack up and get them moving then. I'll get some tunnel people to watch for you and we'll wait up for y'all."

"Right. Well, see you around midnight then."