25

In the morning of the day, before the kids would go back to Hogwarts, they all woke up to their school letters laid on the table. The letters had come in with the regular post. Ginny was the first to collect hers because that morning was the morning that she decided to wake up before 9:30 am. This was just short of a coincidence. Personally, Rosie thought that it was not a coincidence. Rosie opened her letter next, and there was a larger multitude of books than usual. But, that was to be expected with it being the O.W.L year. This year was said to be hardest of them all. It either made you, or it broke you. And, there were more books. So, it would be more expensive this year. And that wasn't a good thing. 

It had been hard for Remus to find work ever since his condition was leaked out by Severus Snape. The finances weren't great for him at the moment. Rosie had tried to help in whatever way she could, she tried to make herself less expensive, never asking for new clothes and being in Hogwarts most of the time did help this circumstance. Her father didn't know of her knowledge on the subject. He had never outright told her, but she could pick up on the signs. She was pretty smart in that regard.

Anyways, Hermione sat next to Rosie as she opened her letter, "Hey, would you look at that, more books." 

Hermione laughed, "We do need these books for our studies, you understand that, don't you?" 

Rosie nodded her head, "Yes, of course, I just- it's a lot more books and course material." 

"Of course it is, it is the O.W.L year," Hermione said, "This year is- what's this?" 

She took out a separate piece of paper and began to skim-read aloud, "Dear Miss Granger, you have displayed......... leadership qualities..... Hogwarts recommends this award to students who.......... Oh, my Merlin! You have been selected out of all in your year to be the female prefect. Merlin's Beard Rosie! Do you know what this means!" 

Rosie nodded, "Yes, Hermione, it means that you are a prefect." 

Of course, Hermione was a prefect, she was the top of her year and a teacher's pet to all but Severus Snape. She had proven again and again, she had the smarts and knowledge to be one of the smartest witches ever. Hence her popularly growing name: the brightest witch of her age. 

Hermione stood up, and rushed over to the kitchen, swiping open the door with a large bang. Her cheeks were flushed and she looked over at Harry who had a prefect badge in his hand as well. 

"I knew it!" She excitedly told Harry, shoving her envelope in his face, "I just knew it. Me too, Harry, me too! We're going to be prefects together!" 

Harry was the obvious choice. He had battled Voldemort the previous year and had protected Hogwarts time and time again. He definitely deserved it. 

Before she could continue on, Harry put a stopper to the excitement, "No. It's not me. Ron's the prefect." 

Hermione looked shocked, her jaw dropped, "Are you sure its Ron?" 

She turned around to see Ron looking at her with a very defiant and slightly angry look on his face, "It's my name on the letter." 

"I-uh," Hermione said, stumbling for words, " I....well.... wow! Ron that's an incredible job, it's simply..." 

"Unexpected?" George said. 

"Strange," Fred added.

"Bewildering." George quipped, a smirk evergrowing on his face 

"No, no it's not-," Hermione said back at the twins, "Ron has done a lot....he's done.....really great things..." 

At that moment, Mrs. Weasley trotted into the room, carrying a basket of clothes, "Oh, great, you're all here. Ginny said the booklists have come through, give them all to me and while you are packing this afternoon I'll go down to Diagon Alley and grab all of your supplies. Right, I'll have to-"