6. "For so long"

A/N: TRIGGER WARNING RACISM⚠️
The character displayed is not condoned by Islam nor the author! Unfortunately that is the case in many cultures where people look down on each other. What matters to Allah is piety!  ❤️

⚓️⚓️⚓️

Aqsa had been in her room talking to Sayeed about this new proposal and how she thought it wasn't so bad. There were no red flags and she was happy about that atleast. Sayeed seemed happy too despite his tired self. He had such a busy day at the office and then taking Nasrah to the hospital, his wife wasn't so well. His  son came rushing in the kitchen while she had on her a bowl of hot porridge that accidentally landed on her body. Nasrah had done everything just to make sure her son wasn't hurt. It had ended burning her. The sticky heavy fluid burnt her beautiful skin. So they had gone to the hospital to treat the burn. Sayeed had panicked when he heard about the incident. His wife was everything to him. He loved her so much. So much that he'd never think twice about keeping her first anytime that was reasonable. But he was so happy for his sister now, promising that he'd go see her tomorrow and talk but Aqsa had other plans.

'No I'll come over tomorrow . So I can see Nasrah too.'

'Oh okay In sha Allah. Then we'll talk.'

Okay. That was settled. That was a plan.

Just then what she had been waiting for- for sometime now happened. She was being called.
In her beautiful long grey dress and her hijab still intact, Aqsa made her way downstairs to the Majlis where here parents were and now Zayn was  too. He came in fast. She said Salaam to her oldest brother then sat alone.
Just before they were about to start talking Zayn's phone started ringing and it seemed somewhat important. Well it was his wife, because he said it was.  And you'd know when she called because he always got tense. Like she controlled him or something  she didn't know.
****

'I'm so sorry I have to go. You guys can handle it.' He excused himself after kissing mother and hugging father goodbye. Well now, it was just the three of us. I looked up and saw my twin siblings looking vertically at us as they were upstairs on the corridor. You could directly see the majlis.

'So what do you have to say today?' Father said.
'Do you accept him or?' He said all this so casually as if he expected me to say 'no' like I always do. The same expression was on mother's face. We had done this so many times.

'What did "He" say?' I asked He-Meaning Youssef.

'Obviously it's a Yes for him.' Mother said as if not liking that fact. What was wrong with her. Her attitude wasn't so good. Was she mad at me? Because she thought I'd say no again? Or didn't she just like Youssef. Did Youssef do something bad? Did he disrespect them? I thought but I never got the answer because I never asked

' I accept him Baba.'

I said what my parents had wished to hear for so long. For so long they've wanted me to say this. But today I said it out of my own free will. Not being forced by anyone. I was in my thoughts but they ended when I heard mother say, 'what?'

Well it wasn't out of happiness. You'd expect that she'd be happy since she'd been wanting this for so long.

'Are you sure Aqsa?' Baba asked again.

'Yes I am.'

'She can't be serious Ally.' Mother said. My father was quiet and now mother was doing all the talking. I was just watching because I didn't know where all this was coming from.

'Your daughter is so disgraceful Ally. She rejected all these proposals just to accept the son of a Black Woman and his Colonizer father. How dare she?'