22. A step back

AQSA's POV
I came back from work today and Youssef was not around. I wonder where he was. I didn't want to ask maman so I just went on with other things without asking.

'My dear, help me choose what should I wear tomorrow.' Maman asked with a smile as she came out of her room carrying two light colored abayas. They looked so nice and classy.

'Wow, maman these are so cute, do you have them at your store?'

'Oh no my dear, Youssef gifted me these, I don't know where he bought them from.'

'Oh MashAllah they are beautiful, what's the event?'
My excitement rising again.

'Amin is taking me on a dinner date tomorrow.' She said smiling with a wink. Maman was quite funny sometimes she just acted like my sister and then I had to remind myself she was my mother-in-law.

'I think you should wear this tea rose one and a milk chocolate chiffon hijab. This tan one is also very cute but it'll look good for an earlier date.'

'Oh thank you, then you should have the tan one.' She handed the tan one to me.

'No maman. That's yours.'

'But you like it.'

'It was a gift from your son, only you should have it.'

'Oh please.' She rolled her eyes.

'He'll poke off my eyes if I ever take that.' I returned her hand.

We continued the same thing over and over again until she finally gave up.

We went to pray maghrib, Separately then we went to prepare dinner together, I just thought it was a good idea to also prepare among Youssef's favorite foods by me because he didn't have it for so long, so I made falafel salad. Papa then came back, I still didn't ask him about Youssef and if he'll be coming back to have dinner but as everyone ate I decided not to question maybe he had informed his parents about his whereabouts.

Way after ishaa I had decided to go sleep when I heard Youssef's laughter all the way from the living room. Oh so now he's finally back.

I tied my hair up after wearing my pjs , as I finished tying my hair up just as I was about to get to bed, Youssef walked in. I didn't look at him. He said salaam to which I responded then I got in bed.

'How was your day at work?'

Well, if you really wanted to know, you would have asked earlier. I replied mentally.

'Fine!'

'Just fine? Don't you want to talk about it?' He asked as he held his towel.

'There's nothing to talk about.' I said pulling the blanket to my neck.

'Is there something wrong? What's up with the attitude?' Youssef asked.

And he doesn't even know?

I didn't say anything.

'Aqsa, please speak up, we are trying to work things out right?'

Why does he have to act so sensible? If he was actually sensible he should have known the problem by now, but since he clearly isn't, there's no other option.