12. Tahajjud

It had been almost two weeks since we came back from our honeymoon. We were at our apartment. It was nothing fancy. Just cosy . It had two bedrooms, one was self-contained, another bathroom and the sitting room which we made room for a dining table at the far end. It seemed to be enough for the two of us. Maybe it was not what I had expected, but it wasn't that bad. Having lived a luxurious life all my life, this was new but I really wasn't spoiled. I could live and enjoy here. I chose this for myself so I didn't get to complain. Not that there was anything to complain about. Next week, I'd be going back to work and I couldn't wait.

I really missed working. I loved my job so much. It got boring at home. Well apart from bonding with Youssef which we really did, I felt the necessity of going back to work.

Youssef sat on the sofa opposite mine and he seemed distracted. He had been this whole week, but he wasn't telling me anything about it. Whenever he was in deep thoughts, he'd move his index finger around the surface underneath like drawing something. Sometimes even my skin. He was so far away. I cleared my throat to bring him back but he didn't hear a thing.

So I walked to where he was sitting and sat next to him. Putting his arm around me. He looked at me and smiled.
'Youssef what is wrong? You seem distracted.'

'Hmmm Do I?' He acted surprised.

'Yes now please be honest with me. I'm your wife right? You can tell me anything.'

Alhamdulillah Three weeks into marriage and I had gained a little confidence around him.

'Hmmm.'

'I'm waiting Youssef.'

'I need a good contract. I'm frustrated playing for these small clubs. I'm not where I want to be career wise and now I have huge bills to pay, I need a better contract.' He said not looking at me.

'I'm getting tired of waiting for my breakthrough.' He added.

'Have you thought about trying something else?' He looked at me like I had lost my mind. What was I thinking. I must have sounded so dumb.

'Just be patient Youssef. Now is not the time to be frustrated. I think you should give your best, your breakthrough could be very close.'
He nodded.

'Just tawakkul on Allah. And I can help you with the bills. I have a decent income.'

Well it wasn't a handsome cheque and all, but I could really help. I had money that I wasn't using in my account. Before getting married my father gave all of us monthly allowances, which I never finished then I got a salary each month. So I think I had enough to help Youssef out with everything.

To be honest he had done so much for us. He paid for the house and everything in it. Our honeymoon, he covered everything. I really wanted to help out.

'No. Your money is yours! I have the obligation to provide for you!'

'Ahhh! Macho much?' I snuggled into his torso as he stroked my hair.

'My religious duty as your husband.' He kissed the side of my head.

Yes I knew that men were the provider for women and all that. But if Youssef needed my help, I would help him. Not even help, I would step up when he needed me to, but anyways I didn't know what to do since he didn't want my help.

'When are you going back to work?'

'Monday .'

'Okay.'

*******
'Youssef wake up!'

'Youssef!'

'Youssef wake up!'