Chapter Nineteen: Enemy

Chapter 19

Disclaimer: This chapter you are about to read contains strong violence and gore. You have been warned.
_________________________________________

Four men with bandanas tied around their forehead and their mouths appear out of the shadows and into the light. Out in front is a small yet sturdy man, narrow green eyes like the environment around him, camouflaging in. The man has golden skin, darker than the three men behind him. He wears a button down black and red tartan shirt with brown scruffy pants. Daryl looks down and the small man is holding a bow, a sack over his right shoulder with sharp wooden sticks, obviously used for arrows.

"Danny!" He welcomes. The man has a foreign accent that Daryl recognises. He's Mexican. The man is very open, immediately throwing his hands up in the air when he sees Danny. When the man comes closer, he's only about a head taller than Kendra. And Kendra is only 5'2... Another bizarre thing about this man is that he has a parrot on his shoulder, the colourful bird squawking and flapping its wings but not taking flight. Kendra looks baffled and she runs to Daryl's side, hiding behind him in the process. Kendra grabs ahold of Daryl's hand that hasn't been shot and she holds it tight, not wanting to let go any time soon. She cries softly onto Daryl's wings. Daryl looks behind and gives her a soft smile, nodding his head to comfort her. He squeezes back, turning to face the intruders.

"Bradley..." Danny snits, cocking back his gun.

"Woah, woah, woah! There's no need for that," Brad raises his hands to show that he doesn't want to fight, throwing his bow to one side. The other three men behind him copy, throwing their weapons to one side as well. "Let's talk about this. And-" Brad leans to one side, making eye contact with Kendra. Kendra doesn't look away. She stares him down like looks could kill. She tried to anyway. Daryl's upper lip curls up in defence, grunting like a wild wolf protecting his mate. "Don't look at her," Daryl says in annoyance. "My eyes are up here."

Brad suddenly laughs, clapping his hands together and leaning forward. The parrot laughs along with him. "Kill, kill, kill, kill!" The parrot screeches, bouncing its head up and down.

"Not now, Lizra, not now," Brad talks softly to his bird, petting it with one of his fingers. Brad pulls off his black and white bandana from around his mouth so it's now wrapped around his neck, smiling white. When he smiles his white smile, a bright gold tooth sparkles. Brad turns his head to look at Markus, clicking his tongue with the roof of his mouth five times. "Damn shame about that. He was one of my best amigos! But he had to go and cross me...You know why you can't call a bridge Rad Brad?" Brad questions, waiting for a response. When nobody answers, he tells them anyway.

"Because nobody ever crosses Rad Brad."

"Good one, boss," a man says behind him, chuckling to himself.

"Thank you, Luis!" Brad declares loudly, startling the horses.

"Did you do this to 'im?" Daryl demands, asking Kendra's question that he knows she has on her mind.

Brad bites his lip, raising his thick brown brows. "He brought it upon himself. He was demanding and secretly a coward. He tired to run away from us. He said, 'no, I have to find my group... Can't take another minute of this.' So I gave him his wish... Not another minute... Once you enter my group, you can't just walk out like it meant nothing! I live by the rules, 'kill or be killed.' I guess he didn't like that... Because look where he ended up! Lying on that ground... Bugs eating his flesh; left to rot like the rotten man he is! He got what he deserved... What a sick and utter disgrace for a human being! I'm glad he's dea-"

Kendra couldn't last another second listening to his foul words. She grabbed her pistol and came out behind Daryl. She pulled back the gun, ready to fire. Daryl acted fast and as she pulled the trigger, Daryl quickly grasped the gun, tilting it up into the sky.