Chapter Forty-Five: Home Is With You

Chapter 45

Cell block C and the prison in general has never been lonelier for Kendra as she stands in front of the mirror in the shower blocks. The mirror has a single cut in it at the bottom, making Kendra's left shoulder copy the brokenness.

She holds the necklace between her two fingers, the jewelry strapped to her neck never coming off since the day Daryl put it on for her. Since the day that changed everything: the day she admitted her true feelings for him. And the day he admitted his, too.

Or so Kendra thinks.

Maybe he just didn't want to feel awkward about it, so he said it to keep her happy? What if he doesn't love her? Could Daryl only be having his way with her?

Kendra really wants to believe the man she loves more than life itself. But why did he run off? Maybe she scared him off with her affection? Maybe it was all too much for Daryl to handle, him never having a proper relationship before with a woman.

Whatever his excuse is, Kendra is not pleased with him. At all.

She should of knew it was all good to be true. Love isn't made to last.

"Love isn't made to last," Kendra whispers softly to her reflection, watching herself as a single lonely tear drips from her puffy eye. She hasn't stopped crying since he left. She acts strong in front of everyone, like she doesn't care. When in reality it's killing her painfully. When Kendra is alone, who the hell knows what's happening inside her head. She wasn't built to be left alone. The word terrifies her.

"Why do you keep running away from me, Daryl. Am I not good enough? Do I not satisfy you?"

Kendra turns away from the mirror, grabbing her shirt and throwing it over her head to slip into. She squeezes her wet brown hair with both hands, water coming through and falling to the ground.

She is clean and refresh on the outside. But on the inside it's gnarly and gruesome, Kendra never having enough time to wash away all the ugliness and betrayal Daryl presented and left behind. What a lovely gift.

Kendra steps outside into the courtyard, wanting to get some fresh air and for her hair to dry a bit quicker. She looks over the perimeter, the day going by extremely slowly. It seems like days since Kendra last saw Daryl. But it's only been a couple of hours; the longest hours she's ever had in her life.

She sighs, the wind blowing back her hair, four walkers down by the large fence shaking it. They never go away, do they?

Speaking of going away, she wants Axel to go away, him now by her side talking to her.

"Hey," he welcomes, Kendra pulling a fake smile through her deep hurt. "How ye feeling? I mean- I heard what happened, your man up and left ya and everything."

Kendra remains looking forward. "Yeah..." She only says, picturing Daryl leaving with Merle. She's pictured it so many times now, it's not even considered normal anymore.

"I'm sorry," he says truthfully. "It must be terrible. I don't know how he did it. Leaving behind such a beautiful woman like yourself. But, men will be men, uh?"

"Men will be men," Kendra replies, letting a huge breath overtake her. "And- thank you. For, you know, comforting me and all."

"Sure, it's not a bother m'lady," he says, giving a little smile to her. Kendra tries to copy.

"Do you miss your brother?" Kendra asks, remembering Axel telling her one time that he had a brother.

"Miss him?" He frowns. "Hell no! He was a jackass, had a real money problem."