Chapter Sixty- Four: I'm A Pirate

Chapter 64

The rosey smile on Meghan's face made The Governor ignore and disguard the fact that this time next week, he'll be dead. But he still hid his hand behind his back.

"You found it!" She shrieks with happiness, her mother no where to be found in the living room/kitchen area. The Governor grins, watching as the little girl sprints off with the chess board and bag of different figures.

"Play with me!" She jumps, him wondering who she's talking to. But as Girl turns the other cheek into another room, he knows she's refering to him.

The Governor was about to say no (because he's tired and he doesn't want to cause an uproar as his hand is still stinging). But as he looks to Meghan again, he thinks to himself what the hell. What have I got to loose?

He strides over to her, plopping down on the opposite side of the board. The duct tape around the game makes him feel guilty, but also glad that it's not completely broken. He observes how Meghan sets the game up, knowing where to place what character and what does what. The Governor is oblivious. But he might as well try.

"I call being black. I'm always black," she informs, The Governor not caring who's who.

"Then I'm white," he shrugs, just wanting to get this over with. "How the hell do you play?"

🔸🔸🔸

The Governor is cornered in the overall sixty-four squares, one single piece left compared to Meghan's six pieces. He moves it from the same two squares back and forth, back and forth, Meghan trying to get him cause he's slippery.

"Give up?" She asks, moving her chess piece to the right to corner him again. Then again.

"No. I never give up. You can lose a lot of soilders and still win the game," he says, a little bit too confident considering when he said that, Meghan flicked his chess piece off as she finally got him after an hour of playing. She holds her nose up high, feeling proud of herself.

"I'll get you next time, don't you worry," he says, leaning in and sticking his tongue out playfully. Meghan giggles, The Governor suggesting that she goes to bed.

"I have one more question," she replies, The Governor waiting for her question.

"What happened to your eye?"

"I lost it," he says snappy, rushing in too quickly and scurrying past.

Meghan fiddles with her fingers. "Did something happen to you? Or where you just born that way?"

He sighs. "Something happened."

Meghan's face falls, knowing that she shouldn't push him anymore because he looks hurt. But her curiosity is peaking so high that if she doesn't, her adrenaline will kill her and explode.

"No," he finally says after a long silence, not looking her in her eye. "I'll tell you what happened to my eye, but you have to promise to keep it a secret."

Meghan's face lights up, coming closer to The Governor holding up her pinky finger.

The Governor narrows his eye, looking at her finger, then to her. He genuinely looks so confused.

"What's that?" He asks, "what are you doing?"

She frowns, then explains. "It's a pinky swear. It means you won't ever break the promise no matter what."

The Governor sits up straight. "Ok... What I do?"

"You've really no idea?" Meghan says baffled, The Governor shaking his head yes.

"You hold out your pinky finger to wrap around mine," she informs, The Governor holding out his finger as Meghan entwins them.

"Pinky swear," she whispers, letting go off his finger and noticing a couple of scratches and bites on his hand. "Plus I cross my heart and hope to die."

The Governor twitches on the last sentence, feeling sensitive and called out. Meghan waits patiently.

"Well..." He begins, looking her straight in her eyes. "I'm a pirate."

"No way!" Meghan laughs, "I love pirates."

The Governor laughs in return, but Meghan can't tell if he's laughing or crying as he curls himself up trying to hide from the world like a scared cat.

"Yeah, you caught me," he says in a broken manner, looking up and Meghan can see the glistening on his skin from an unknown moisture.

"What really happened," he continues, "was I was trying to help someone... Someone I loved very much."

He gulps, like what he said was never to be heard or told to another person. His heart hammers against his chest rapidly.

"How were you trying to help them?" Meghan queries, wanting to know this man more.

"I was... Trying to protect them, you know? Stop them... From getting hurt."

Meghan pulls the pieces together. "But you got hurt instead?"

The Governor twitches again, trying to keep himself steady. Glancing at the wall, glancing at the pictures, glancing at her. He's done crying.

"Yep..."

"Did they get hurt too?" Meghan asks slowly, softly so she doesn't strike a cord and hurt him. She can tell this is hard for him.

"Uh..." He doesn't know if he should answer, "yeah... Yeah, they did."

Her throat runs dry. "I'm sorry," she mentions, The Governor sinking low.

"Me too."