Chapter Twenty-Eight: No Mercy

Chapter 28

The Governor travels to the open outskirts of where the military camp is, Welles's words playing in his mind. Military vehicles take up the land, soldiers prowling the area. The Governor stops his car, scrolling down his window to reveal a white flag, swinging it about to show them he doesn't want to cause any harm. Or trouble.

"Hey, hey, hey!" The Governor shouts out through his window. "Don't shot!"

One soldier comes forward, the other soldiers behind him on high alert, not taking any chances. "Identify yourself!" The main soldier demands, The Governor stepping out of his car, raising his hands in his air, the white flag stuck to his hand.

"No, hey, hey!" The Governor speaks, trying to calm down the soldiers that are all pointing a gun at him. "We found your guy, Welles! Lieutenant Welles!"

Some soldiers exchange looks, the main soldier becoming baffled.

"His chopper went down!" The Governor continues, stepping forward.

"Where is he?" The main soldier says in shock, his voice calm yet demanding.

"We got a lil' settlement. Now, he's- he's badly hurt. But, he's alive! The other guys didn't make it. I'm sorry. But Welles, he told me I would find ya here. Wants me to bring ya to help."

One soldier behind the main soldier turns around to the others. "They found Welles. They got 'im. They found 'im," he says, one soldier smiling widely, relieved at this information.

"We sure did!" The Governor says, a cast of darkness growing in his eyes suddenly. "We found you, too."

The Governor wipes out his pistol, shooting the main soldier in his shoulder, the soldier jolting back and hitting himself of the ground.

More gunshots are followed after, the governor's men hiding behind trees and bushes, shooting down all the soldiers, showing no clemency towards any of them. The soldiers drop like flies, not getting a chance to react as it all happens so fast. The Governor watches, his facial expression blank and pitiless as the soldiers die around him.

The Governor walks forward, two soldiers falling down as he walks past them to the main soldier who is still alive, coughing and choking on his blood. The Governor kneels down, taking his gun from the soldier who's world is slowly getting darker. The last thing he sees is The Governor raising the end of his gun to him, then a strong hit to his face, crushing his brain.

The Governor bashes his skull in with the gun, hitting him over and over again, blood flicking up and getting on his face and clothes, spit flying out of his mouth. The Governor closes his eyes, looking up at the blank sky that resembles him, breathing heavy and taking in what he had done. He smiles to himself slightly; proud that the plan had worked the way he wanted it to.

His men run out of the trees and bushes, one of them being Merle Dixon. A young man comes up beside the Governor, looking down at the dead solider, his face a bloody mess.

"Never waste a bullet, son," The Governor tells him, looking around at the dead soldiers. "Take out the rest of these weapons."

"Yes, sir," he says, nodding. He was about to go and do what he was told do, when a lonely soldier makes a dash for it, running away from the area, holding his shoulder that was shot. The Governor squints his eyes, holding up the weapon he got from the main soldier, aims, and fires, the man falling to the ground.

Merle bites his lip, sweat glistening on his forehead as he stares at the soldier still breathing and fighting for his life.

"Go put a merciful end to that young  man's days," The Governor orders Merle, taking out his knife and handing it to him. Merle hesitates at first, not taking the knife and just looking at it and the man who wants him to murder.