Chapter Fifty-Seven: Promises And Other Pledges

Chapter 57

Scozzafava could not sleep. When she thought she could feel herself being drifted off to sleep, faces appeared in her vision. Disappointed. Anger. Loathing. She could almost touch the feelings right in front of her; tangible. She sighed so many times, she was surprised the roof of the prison didn't blow off. She traced her stomach that much with her finger, she was surprised she didn't leave red lines. She tossed and she turned, surprised that there was still even a mattresses in the morning to hold her up, the false promise of sleep.

It was her only way to escape her emotions. But how could she when the one thing she wants to escape from is the very thing that's keeping her awake? Talk about unfairness.

Unfairness?

Pregnant during the apocalypse at sixteen.

She began to sob into her pillow quietly, not wanting Sherry to wake up who was beside her, sleeping softly. She dug her nails into the pillow, thinking what would her dad think.

What would her dad think?

Definitely not proud, that's for sure. Calling her all the names. Her mum would be angry at first, then she would be excited about the pregnancy. She just loved babies. As for Rico though, she honestly didn't know. It was a speculation.

Sherry moans in her sleep, her tied back hair with a scrunchie coming loose, reminding Fava of Henri. Her face was a blur now. It had been too long.

If Fava doesn't get to sleep now, she'll never will!

It was going to be a long, dreadful night.

🔸🔸🔸

The gentle purrs of a cat is what Daryl and Kendra woke up to in the early morning. Kendra buries her head under her pillow, still tired and wanting to sleep.

"Who let you in, huh?" Daryl says, stroking the white fluffy cat, getting up on the bed so his back is pressed against the headboard.

"Ughhhhh," Kendra grumbles, not being a morning person at all. "I want to sleep!"

Kendra can hear Daryl vibrate slightly, knowing that he's chuckling. The cat meows, going over to plop herself on Kendra's face, annoying her more.

"Kitney Spears says hello," Daryl grins, his sunkissed hair standing on him from his terrible morning hair he has.

"Goodbye," Kendra says instead, still night out. Her voice is so sleepy and hollow, Daryl thinks she's half sleeping. Daryl decides to lift the cat off of Kendra's face, placing her down on the floor. It's a wonder Tamiko and Kitney Spears gets along. They're like best friends.

"I suppose I better get up anyway," Daryl gruffs, getting out of bed and getting changed. "Wanna track that deer I saw yesterday."

"What? In the middle of the night?" Kendra questions, mumbling into the pillow face down.

"It ain't night, Kelly," Daryl responds, buckling his grey scruffy pants. "Sun's gonna be up in an hour."

Daryl grabs his boots, tying them sitting down on the edge of the bed. Kendra speaks.

"I don't know how you do it, Daryl."

He turns his head. "Do what?"

"It's like you give yourself extra work to do."