Chapter Fifty-Six: Remembering

Chapter 56

For the first time, in a long time, everyone was happy and had a smile on their usually tear or blood stained face. For the most part, the old classic record player what looked like a trumpet coming out of its side was the start of a rememberable clear night. The group found it in the back storage room, their curiosity peaking to see if it actually still blasted tunes.

And to their surprise, it may be old and nearly worn out, but the music was magical. They missed hearing music. Something as simple as that, people took for granted when the world was normal.

Clementine and Fava was the first to pop to their feet.

Old classic songs blessed their ears, everyone up on their feet having a good time. Kai and Jane took it as their honey moon. Even Kenny and Daryl where up on the dance floor, Kendra keeping Daryl right, and Clementine keeping Kenny right.

Fava looks around at everyone, her wolf with sunset eyes by her side. Her heart feels warm, tugging against her ribcage. The whole situation brings a tear to her silver eyes, knowing that the happiness won't last forever. It can't. It just can't.

They'll go back to reality, pulling walker gore off of their skin. They'll go back to digging graves. They'll go back to scavenging. They'll go back to fear and terror, shouting out someone's name to watch out or to run for their lives. She dreads the day she has to pick up the shovel. Henri's funeral still traumatizes her till this day. Her body buried outside the prison walls, facing dusk every evening the sun goes down.

But for now, that doesn't exist. She wants to live in the moment. And that's exactly what she will do. She spots Bobby leaning up against a cell door, his circular glasses sliding down the bridge of his nose.

She glides over. "Wanna dance?" She asks, offering him her hand. Bobby smiles ear to ear, Fava not having to ask twice. This is going to be a wonderful night, she thinks to herself.

On the other side of them, Daryl and Kendra are dancing to the rhythm. At least Kendra is, Daryl's just copying her, no idea how to. Still.

"Ouch!" She gasps, pain striking her foot as Daryl accidentally stands on her. A couple of heads turn, Alex giggling and burbling to himself in Lance's arms.

"Bad Dee! Bad Dee!" Alex glees out, clamping his little hands together laughing at the couple.

"Baddie, uh?" Daryl calls out, Kendra grinning up at him. "First time for everythin'."

Alex whines out in response, Lance taking him to the back room to put him to bed. His whole room is SpongeBob themed; the only thing not a Peter Rabbit stuffed cuddly toy that lays between his two fluffed white pillows.

"Sweet dreams, kid," Lance whispers, stroking his blonde hair that's more dirty blonde as time passes by. Before Lance leaves, he kisses his forehead lightly, and he swears he hears snores just before he closes the door. He shakes his head, chuckling as he shuts the door.

He walks back down the corridor to the party. He can hear Jane shouting and yelling to Kai, but no one passes any remarks. They just let her be. Suddenly, she bursts into clamour, a wild hearty laugh echoing throughout the prison.

"Someone's having a good time," Lance says to himself, rolling his eyes playfully, opening the door to join the group again.

The music fades away, Dwight swapping the finish record to another record, putting the needle at the edge of the black disc to start a new fresh song.

The slow, almost marching beat plays out, their fast movements becoming soft, gentle sways. Side to side. Side to side. Hands on shoulders. Feet brushing past. The perfect melody to reminisce. Maybe too much; smiles dimming low like lights. The room feels darker.