Chapter Thirty-Nine: But Blood Is Thicker

Chapter 39

1 Hour Earlier

Kai drives over a bump, causing pain to strike in Kendra's leg, her hissing and rubbing her wound in the back seat. Her wound is getting better, it nearly cleared up, but if you were to press on it too hard, or even a slight discomfort, she knew about it.

For example, last night with Daryl.

They slept outside of the cells on the perch, Daryl not wanting to sleep in a cell. She never asked why, but she knew the reason behind it: he didn't want to recall any past memories, him being in cells in the past to last a lifetime. That was Kendra's assumptions anyway.

They slept in the position that they were in at the church about a month ago; Kendra lying on top of Daryl's chest, his muscular arms wrapped around her, his head snuggled down into her damp hair for Kendra had taken a shower in the shower blocks about twenty minutes ago. Fava took out a spare blanket for them that she found in her cell, even giving Daryl a spare mattress in one of the other cells so he was comfortable.

In the middle of the night, Kendra slipped down from his chest in her sleep, her now lying beside him instead of on top. Then Daryl in his sleep, threw his leg around Kenda's leg as her back was pressed up against chest, sleeping soundly.

But Kendra being far more petite than Daryl, woke up to the sudden pressure on her leg, Daryl's leg up over her own and adding force upon her wound, him oblivion to his strength compared to hers.

"Ugh...Daryl...you're- you're hurting me. My leg," she whispers, waking Daryl up with an abrupt grunt, him immediately slipping his leg down from hers, humming "sorry" behind her.

Kendra turns around on her side so she's facing Daryl, her looking up to the dark figure lying next to her that she has just woken up from his deep slumber, Daryl rubbing his eyes and yawning.

"I was havin' the most wonderful dream," he purrs, the tiredness and the laziness in his voice clear that Kendra thinks is very attractive on him.

"What was it?" Kendra asks softly, scooting closer to him as she wants his warmth he's giving off. Plus she just wants to be close to him.

"I'll tell ya in the mornin', Kelly," he gruffs. "Ya get to sleep. How's your leg anyway?"

"Yeah. It's getting better. Thank you."

"That's good."

"Goodnight, Daryl. I love you." She strokes his check with the back of her hand, going over cuts and light bruises. Daryl lets her, enjoying and melting into her touch, Daryl's heart going up in tiny sparks. Daryl takes her hand suddenly, pressing her hand to his lips, slowly kissing her knuckles one by one, traveling and planting his delicate pecks all the way down her arm, not leaving any skin untouched. Now Kendra is the one melting.

"Goodnight, sweetheart. I love ya back."

Another bump in the road knocks Kendra out of her daydream, hissing yet again, getting a reaction from her mother in the front seat.

"You okay, Kendra?" She asks, looking through the rear view mirror to look at her daughter in the back seat.

"I'm fine. These damn roads," she complains, looking out of the car window, the surroundings compelling her to daydream again. But the plan dies right way when Kai begins conversation.

"So," he says, driving with one hand. "You and Daryl."

Kendra takes offence at his statement as she didn't like the way he said it.

"So, you and my mother," Kendra fires back with an attitude, making both of their mouths drop open. "When were you going to tell me? Or was I never meant to know?"