Cady X Janis

At two in the morning, Janis likes to enjoy the silence around her. The only sounds she hears in her garage are those of her paint brush strokes, and her right foot rhythmically tapping against the concrete. Friday nights are when the whole neighborhood is either out or remaining quiet in their homes.
For the first time in months, Janis is distracted by the ringing of her doorbell. Someone's impatient, probably has their finger on the bell and it's driving Janis mad. She'd ignore it, tune it out and let whoever is crazy enough to roam the streets at this time go away; but she remembers that Damian was going out that night, and maybe he's in need of help, or her place was the closest.
By the time she gets to the front door, the ringing stops, but knocking starts. She looks out to see, to her surprise, Cady standing outside. Rushing to unlock the door, Janis opens it.
There's a beat of silence between them when Janis looks at Cady, inspects her appearance and pulls her into the house before locking the door behind them. It's easy to see Cady's been crying, because she's not learned the wonders of waterproof mascara. However ridiculous the mascara running down her cheeks looks, Janis decides it's best not to comment.
Instead, she asks, "Shouldn't you be with Aaron?"
It's decidedly the worse of the two options, Janis recognizes when Cady lets out a sob. She avoids the touchy subject by pulling Cady into a hug and holding her close. Contrary to popular belief, Janis likes hugs; she just doesn't enjoy them when the other person is crying and shaking in her hands.
Somehow, she leads them to the living room and draws Cady down to the couch. It takes twelve minutes for Cady to calm down enough to part from Janis and look at her. It's scary, the way she looks.
Janis has seen her ecstatic, courageous, disappointed, determined and countless other things, but there's nothing as awful as seeing Cady heartbroken. Devastatingly so. Janis feels a lump in her throat stopping her from speaking, and maybe that's for the best, because she doesn't know what she would say, anyway.
Cady speaks before Janis gets the courage to. "He says it's too hard now that he's in college," she manages to get out, sniffling through it. Janis thinks it's a dumbass excuse for a break-up, and that Aaron can try better, but she doesn't say that.
"His loss," she tells Cady, "Boys are sometimes dumb like that." She thinks for a second, then adds: "Most times." Not that she would know, but Damian's stories and the examples around North Shore are enough for her to deduce as much. "He's losing the best girl around."
It's not hard to comfort Cady, Janis learns. Not that Cady stops crying or that she's feeling any better, but the words come naturally because she means every single one. She's had some practice with Damian, but none of his heartbreaks have ever been as serious as Cady coming to her house in the middle of the night.
"I mean it, Caddy," Janis says after a few long moments of silence. "He doesn't know how stupid he is being, letting go of you."
And all she can think about in that moment, when Cady's struggling to give her a forced smile and not succeeding at all as they're sitting next to each other on the couch in her living room, is that she'd never be so stupid to not see what she has. To not see Cady and think all of the effort is absolutely worth it.
But that's far from what Cady needs right now.
So Janis wraps her arms around Cady again, pulls her in. Cady rests her head on Janis' shoulder and her breathing eventually evens out, Janis guides them down into a lying position and wakes up in the morning, Cady still safely in her arms.
Aaron truly doesn't know what he's losing.