Chapter 10: The Top Ten

Sophie was extremely nervous while waiting for breakfast, and barely got any sleep the night before. She could barely touch her breakfast. After everyone was done eating the king stood up announcing that there would be ten girls left after this elimination and said the names of the girls who were leaving, which sadly included Marella. Sophie was relived she stayed in the competition, but was sad because she lost her last friend who was competing in the selection. She said good bye to Marella and promised to write. All the girls had a day off from their ability classes except Sophie because of her class with Fitz, and he seemed to learn more when she was there. Fitz and Sophie became good friends through the telepathy classes. Today for whatever reason Alden was waiting at the telepathy classroom. When she and Fitz were both there he said "If you two wish it, Tiergan said you two were compatible to become cognates". Fitz gasped at that, and said "isn't having a cognate really rare". Sophie said "I'm up for it, if he wishes to". "Of course I am" . Alden waited a moment then said "well that means on top of your telepathy training you will be having half an hour before it of my cognate training"."That's fine" they said at the exact same time. Alden then told them they had the rest of the day off of training. Sophie then headed off to tell Biana. On the way there was a loud noise, kind of like a bang. Before she knew it she was getting pushed toward the safe room. One of the few things she was dreading happening while she was at the palace, was happening... A rebel attack.

The Neverseen never liked the way the Vacker line ruled, its no wonder they are trying to stop the crown prince from marrying. She knew it was likely to happen, but hoped it wouldn't. She was scared, her old village was pulverized by the Neverseen, it was lucky she, her mom and dad survived. But she could tell the youngest girl left in the selection, Rose was even more frightened. She started to comfort her, saying things like "it will be alright" and "everyone will be okay". Before long they were let out, the palace guards won. Everyone fell into an uneasy sleep that night. The next morning it was revealed three of the girls went home, one because her father was one of the knights who fought, but got majorly injured. The others because they were pretending to be frightened to gain sympathy from the prince. Rose was still in the Selection because the royal family knew that her village had been attacked when she was little, and even lost her older brother. So she had every right to be nervous. It took a couple days to get the palace back to normal. But eventually everything was dealt with. The next Sunday the king revealed that the selection would end just after the new year, to keep the girls as safe as possible, and out of the Neverseen's plans.

Fitz and Sophie have become even closer because of the cognate training. He even took her on two more dates. He was starting to trust her, and possibly starting to like her a bit more than just a friend.