Ch. 13 Don't let it get to you

CH. 13 Don't let it get to you

(Ben POV)

I was going towards the break room when I heard my name being mentioned.

I stood next to the wall, listening to what was being said. Of course, my co-workers were talking about me.

"Do you think he thinks he's better than us?" a voice that I recognized as Derrick.

"We always invite him to have drinks with us, and he turns us down. He's always getting ahead of his work, making it seem like we're slacking when we're all going at a normal pace," Lucas, another co-worker, said.

A woman's voice spoke.

"You two need to cut it. So what if he doesn't want to hang out with you both, and so what if he's always more invested in work? It's his life, and some people don't care for groupies or wanting to hang out; some people just want to work and go home to be alone after a long day of work or some people just don't want to hang out with their co workers," The woman voice said.

It was another co-worker named Lilian.

She was one of those co-workers who always spoke to me and have always been friendly with me.

"Yeah right, that dude has no friends and is a loner with a lame personality," Derrick said.

"Well because of his lame personality, he got to have an interview with Jesse Hutcherman and you didn't get picked for that. He's good at his job and he doesn't do anything to bother you. Just stop taking it to heart and let it go, it's not like he's ever done anything to you." Lilian said.

A laugh came. "Woah Lilian guess you have a crush on Ben huh?" Lucas said.

"No, I like him. He's a good guy. I am just being the adult I am who doesn't have a child mindset like you two. What the hell are you? Elementary kids? Apparently, talking behind a fellow employee's back like that." Lilian's voice raised, and my eyes widened now that their tone was getting louder.

This would not be good if a full-blast argument ended up happening.

"We didn't say anything but the truth," Derrick said, and I heard Lilian laugh.

"We didn't say anything but the truth." She mimicked Derrick.

"This is why you guys aren't doing well; look how you both behave," she said.

I took that time to walk into the break room.

The room fell quiet. From outside the break room, I thought it would be just Lilian, Derrick, and Lucas. My eyes widened when I realized that 10 people were in the break room, but only Lilian stood up for me.

Derrick and Lucas tried to play it off like they weren't talking about me.

"Hey, Ben," Derrick said, and I raised a brow.

"Talking shit behind my back but can't say it to my face? Save your Hi." I said, Lilian, and let out a laugh.

I walked to the fridge to get my lunch.

I turned towards Lilian.

"Thanks for having my back," I said, giving her a small smile.

"No problem; I just can't be fake like the others," she said, giving me a small smile.

I nodded and gave a farewell wave as I left the break room.

I heard Lilian's laugh, knowing she was laughing at Lucas and Derrick.

I should talk to her more. She's been nothing but pleasant to me.

I walked towards my desk and was about to start my lunch. I heard my boss call my name from his office.