ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 6

"SO, YOU ARE TELLING ME THAT YOU trapped Elena in her own house?" I asked through the phone.

"Well, it's for the best. For both of you —trust me. Elena is on a martyr tear that rivals your greatest hits. You should be glad the witch and I are even getting along," said Damon.

"Actually, I am not surprised you locked her up. I am surprised Stefan let you," I said to the guy.

"Same here. But, I guess Stef couldn't pass up such a brilliant plan designed by his big brother for this one," said Damon.

"You both brothers are surprisingly calm, considering Klaus will hunt you down if you mess with his little plan," I said to Damon.

"We died once. We got over it," replied Damon with a snort. "What about you ―how are you dealing with everything?"

"Well, I ran into Elijah yesterday," I said to him.

"What? And you are saying this now? What happened?" he asked, a hint of concern in his tone.

"He says he wants to help us, and he is trying to kill Klaus," I said.

"And you believe him?" he questioned quietly.

"Of course not. I was betrayed once. I am not going to get over it, nor will I make the same mistake again," I said, my voice bitter.

"Do you want to talk about it?" he asked, and he sounded almost embarrassed to even ask about it.

"Nah, I am alright. I had 500 years to think and reflect on it. I will survive," I said, "I gotta go, though. Got things to do ―moonstone to track. I will be out of town for a couple of days. I am meeting with a witch to sketch a plan."

"Take care of yourself, Katherine," he said.

"You too," I muttered, "Bye, Damon."

★ ➷ 。• ☆

I really left the town for two days but just not to see a witch; instead, I met up with the private detectives in New York. I wanted to select the ones I need personally.

I mean, it's the modern age, and if you have to find a person, you don't have to look for yourself. You have people to do that. You should develop along with the times, ladies ―or gents.

I finally filtered out two different consultancies that I had thought would get the job done. I then gave them a name each. Hayley Marshall and Nadia Petrova. I asked one of them to start his search in the Appalachians for a Hayley Marshall. For the other one, I gave my dear Nadia Petrova's name and a picture of her that I had an artist draw.

Well, I can't say I got the description right on point, but the picture came close to reality and should do the work. Unfortunately, I can't draw for shit. And I am a philistine. Never understood why people threw so much money on a painting that costs some $40 of paint and canvas. The most wonderous work I probably did was stick figures and sun between two mountains.