ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 25

"ARE WE THERE YET?"

"No."

"Are we there yet?"

"Noo."

"Are we..."

"Oh my god!" Katherine exclaimed. "If you say that one more time, I am gonna reach down your throat and tear out your tongue."

"Jeez, no need to get testy. I am just excited to meet a part of my family," Hayley Marshall said, rolling her eyes from the passenger seat.

"I told you it is nothing to be excited about," the vampire next to her said, rolling her eyes.

"Easy for you to say. I have been searching and wondering about my parents, my whole life," The werewolf responded with a somber expression.

"What part of 'your parents are dead' didn't you understand?" The 500-year-old vampire asked bluntly. "All you will find is, there are a group of people with matching tattoos, and that you were some kind of werewolf royalty until the witches and vampires decided to place a curse on your pack."

"I still think something is better than nothing," said the crescent wolf adamantly, not letting the vampire spoil her mood. "I mean, isn't it why you are helping me? A favor from my supposed pack, in time of need."

"Well, yes. This is a long term investment of sorts, I guess," The vampire said truthfully. It's not like the wolf will accept any other answer. "I won't gain any profits unless you find a way to break the curse."

"Do you know why the wolves are cursed?" Hayley asked after a while.

"I know who cursed them, but not why," Katherine said, trying to sound sincere. The Petrova doppelganger can't say anything if she wants to remain inconspicuous. The vampire isn't supposed to know too much. If anyone learns about her knowledge, it can be seen as a challenge. And challenge incites conflict, something the doppelganger wants to stay far away from. She is not dumb enough to go looking for trouble. Catherine wants allies, not enemies.

"We are here," the vampire said, breaking the silence in the car. "New Orleans. Culture, art, voodoo shops, witches, and vampires."

"With werewolves hiding in the bayou, on the side," Hayley added, looking through the car window.

"Yeah, that too," the doppelganger said, "But remember, don't let anyone know you are a mangy dog. If anyone comes for your head, that's on you."

"Wow! Thanks for the prior notice, Katherine," the hazel green-eyed werewolf replied, sarcastically.

"Anytime," the vampire said, equally sarky.

"So, where to first?" The wolf asked, tucking a hand in her jean pocket, looking around the people walking on the sidewalk.