ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 40

I WAS CONFUSED, so very much that I thought I was hallucinating a dead two-thousand-year-old Greek witch, standing in my room while going through my closet.

"Hey. You are here," Qetsiyah greeted, dropping the Gingham jumpsuit she was holding on to the bed, "Finally!"

I just stared at her, wide-eyed, not fully believing, yet cautious of the uninvited and unexpected guest. The dark-haired witch, however, kept on talking, "I like the name, by the way. Tessa," she tested it on her tongue. "Has a nice ring to it, innit?"

"You are really here?" It was more of a question than a statement, and the witch shrugged indifferently. So, I changed my wording. "How are you here?"

"I am Qetsiyah," The witch said as if that should answer my million questions.

"Right," I couldn't help but roll my eyes, sarcastically, "Duh! What was I thinking?"

And it seems sarcasm was not a thing 2 millenniums ago, because Qetsiyah didn't seem to get that I wanted an elaborate explanation, as she started talking again. "But you seem to know it, and a lot of things along with that. So, tell me, what is your name?"

"You don't even know my name, and yet you decided to drop by to see me?" I asked, lifting my eyebrow in surprise.

"I know the name of the doppelganger you are currently possessing," Tessa said, knocking the breath out of my lungs with the simple statement. "I want to know what your original name is."

I involuntarily strained my ears to check if the Salvatores's brother were in the house, hearing it. Qetsiyah seemed to notice this as she said, "I put on a silencing spell. They can't hear us."

"I don't know what you are talking about," I lied.

Innocent until proven guilty.

Tess, however, looked unamused. "We both know what I am talking about. I was the one who put you in this vampire doppelganger's vessel, after all."

My mind reeled at the new information. "What?"

The vindictive prehistoric witch sighed as she sat on the edge of my bed, and began her story. "You see, for centuries now, I have been searching for someone who would help me get my revenge against Silas. I began with one of my descendants. I helped a dying witch in creating the brotherhood of the five, hoping those formidable hunters will help me in my quest."

"How did that work out for you?" It was a rhetoric question, but Tessa answered nonetheless.

"Horribly," she said, continuing, "As time passed, the hunters didn't even know what their true goal was. They just became mindless killing machines," The prehistoric witch shook her head in disappointment. "So, I decided to go to Plan-B. It was a ritual to find the one. At first, I was skeptical. Seeing a group of five formidable hunters couldn't complete the task, and what would one do. But... I had to try. And I didn't care if I had to cross through time and space for that. However, the soul that is capable of the task needed a perfect vessel, which happened to be a vampire doppelganger." she said with a distaste seeing my body.