ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 37

"SO, BLUE OR RED," I asked, holding up both of the dresses I brought for the ball in front of me.

"Red."

"Blue."

My jaw ticked at their simultaneous answers. "Alright! Just... get out. I am gonna call Caroline, "I said, pushing Stefan and Damon out of my bedroom as they protested the whole time.

I shook my head at the petulant brother and tried hunting for my phone. And I didn't have to search for it when I heard it ringing from under my pile of dresses I tossed out my closet. I scrunched my nose when I noticed it was an unknown number.

"Hello?"

"Katherine!" The husky voice on the other side exclaimed, "You know, I had half the mind you would've changed the number or at the least dropped your phone by now." And I could clearly identify the person behind the accented voice.

"Lucien?" I began confused at his sudden call.

"It would've really hurt my feelings if you didn't recognize my artistic voice," The cocky first sired vampire said into the phone.

"Are you calling to remind me just how narcissistic you are," I commented lightly with a snort as I looked in the mirror contemplating which dress I should wear for the stupid ball.

"Please! It's a fact that everyone knows. I don't have to publicize it personally," Lucien Castle said with a snort, "Anyway, do you by, any chance, know someone named Harald Ericson?" The elder vampire asked instead.

I looked through Katherine's memories trying to memorize any details about that particular name but came up with nothing, "Should I?" I inquired with a scrunched up face.

"He is the one and the only person that was ever sired by Mikael. The sire-line starts with Harald and ends with him," and that had my head whirling.

"I am sorry," I said, processing, "Are we talking about the same Papa Original, who has a particular aversion to the undead and likes to leave a trail of dead bodies where ever he goes and is known as 'The Destroyer?' Who I thought would've never sired a vampire?"

"The one and only," and I was sure Lucien is smirking right about now as he said that. "You see, Mikael owed his friend, Leif Ericson, a favor for the fact that Leif saved his life during one of their Viking raids. And so, years later, after Mikael became a vampire, Leif asked Mikael to turn the grandson he loved so very much... Harald, who was sick and about to die from a plague. And Mikael did do it on a promise that Harlad should never turn anyone in the future."

"Alright! Why am I getting this history lesson again?"

"Because a month ago, Harald died. He suddenly started vomiting blood and then desiccated right in the middle of a bar in Oklahoma," Lucien announced, and I knew where he was getting at. "According to my informers, he apparently died two hours after Mikael's death, which you had a hand in."