3. Freedom

I jerk awake, and opened my eyes realizing it's dark outside. We can see Atlanta, but are stuck in a few miles of traffic. I look at dad and ask him how long I have been asleep.

"about an hour," he replied.

I rubbed my eyes and asked if I could get out to use the bathroom.

"Why you askin permission?"

He replied clearly annoyed. I rolled my eyes and got out, and slammed the door behind me.

I took my time and stretched out a little bit. When I went back to the car I saw how long the traffic really was. I had never seen anything like it there were so many cars. I opened the door to the truck, but nobody was inside.

    I wondered where my dad had gone. Well, who cares he probably got out to stretch or something

It's been a hour now and it's getting scary. I look in the back of the truck and see my bag, a sleeping bag, and my pillow. My dads stuff was gone. I'm freaking out now. I opened the door and looked down the long line of cars.

     My dad was no where to be seen. It then hit me like a brick wall. I was alone, it's the freaking apocalypse and I am all alone in a truck, in the dark with not enough supplies to last more than a few days if that.

     I'm almost in tears when I remember, I'm free. Free from the beatings, and burns, and all the other abuses both physical and mental.

     I look carefully around the car and go to the trunk and grab my things. I put them in the front seat and lock the doors.

     By now it is almost 8 o'clock, so I grab the road map in the front Console, and put it in my bag, I might need it later.

    Maybe tomorrow I will head to Atlanta to the shelter daddy was talkin about. I was thinking about how long it would take me, when I heard explosions going off. They were so close I could feel the car shake.

    When I looked out my window I saw buildings in Atlanta on fire. Or Maybe I won't head to Atlanta tomorrow. Wait, Why are they bombing Atlanta? I decided to leave cause if there was one thing I knew it was that a bombing would cause hundreds of the infected to come and they might pass right through this highway.

    I opened the console and threw papers, napkins, and lots of other junk on the floor looking for anything that might be useful. It was then that I saw a flash of silver and I carefully grabbed it.

    It was a shiny black Gun I grabbed the box of bullets from underneath it. I examined it in awe, then tucked it in my jeans and put my shirt over it so nobody could see it.

     I made sure I had everything I wanted. I was about to get out of the vehicle when my hand froze. What was I doing? I am more scared then I have been in my entire life.

    After about five minutes of fighting with myself I finally worked up the courage to open the door.

     I looked around and hopped out with my backpack on my shoulders, I tied the pillow and sleeping bag to the backpack. I almost forgot to grab my knife, so I quickly put it in my belt.

    I started walking away from Atlanta. It feel like a new person,

"You're gonna be fine, you're gonna be fine..." I keep repeating to myself.

People were looking at me like I was crazy, but I keep walking. I am looking down, and stop dead in my tracks what am I doing I look like a little girl that is afraid of her own shadow. I look up with a hard glare and tuck my shirt in letting my gun be seen. I hope I look at least a little intimidating, but I am so small people are probably just confused at me.

    A pair of big men in a blue truck with a silver streak down the side, and a motorcycle in the back, are laughing their heads off, well the big ugly one was. The other one just smirked.

    I was mad I wasn't being taken seriously. When I walked by I took my knife out, and made it look like I was gonna scratch the side of their truck. Their faces went straight and angry when I stopped an inch away from the vehicle. I crossed my arms now it was my turn to smirk at them.

    Except at the same time both their doors open, and I lost my smirk. I was paralyzed with fear, I forgot how to move. Till they were both out, then I booked it away from them not even watching where I was going. All the bravery I had was gone.

     I turned to see them a few feet away from me. All of the sudden I hit something hard and fell straight backwards.