43. Full Night Sleep

I wake up on a bed in a small, simple, tan colored room. I rub my eyes, and hop off of the tall bed.

     I walk over to the door and creep down the hall. I hear talking from down the hall a bit. I follow the sound, and Peek my head in the doorway.

"He saved me. Risked his life for me."

    That sounds like Shane. I wonder what he meant by that. I look in the room, and see A bunch of weird looking stuff. Tubes and all that, but the thing that grabs my attention immediately is the small figure lying limp in a bed similar to the one that I woke up in.

I noticed Shane and Rick talking by the window their backs facing me. I take the opportunity, and slip in quietly. I don't wanna hurt Carl, so I don't sit down.

"I'm so... so sorry Carl. I wish this would of been me." I say in a voice so low only Carl would hear if he were awake.

   I gently take my wounded friends hand, and rub the hair out of his face. Whenever I look at him I noticed he would do that. His hair was always in his eyes.

"Mason?" I whip around when I hear Rick say.

"I didn't do anything to hurt him, honest. I just wanted to see him was all." I quickly defend myself.

"Hey, it's alright. I was just surprise, I thought you were in bed."

"Oh, does that mean I can stay?" He chuckles.

"I think Carl would appreciate that... Don't you?"

"Yes sir," I smile.

I noticed Shane shaved all his hair off. He looked really scary, but I wouldn't admit that to anybody.

"If your gonna stay, you're gonna want to sit down... Here." Rick comes over and effortlessly lifts me up onto the bed next to Carl. Just be careful, we don't wanna wake him, alright?"

"I won't, scouts honor." I hold my hand out, and he grips it in a shake.

"I believe ya." He smiles, and Shane leaves the room looking sorta guilty.

Rick sits with me for a while, and then Hershel and Lori walk in.

"Good morning sweetheart." Lori says to me, and Hershel smiles at me.

"How'd ya sleep? The bed is kinda old, but still hopefully pretty comfortable."

"I slept better than I have in weeks, thank you," I smile at him.

I hear the sound of a loud engine.
"It's the others," Rick says. I jump off the bed and run out the door, to meet them. I accidentally run into T-dog.

"Sorry!" I yell back as I keep running. I hear him laugh so he's okay.

When I get out the door I see Daryl first, and run to him.

"Did she find her way back?" He sighs, and doesn't answer that means no.

     I look down at my bare feet, I forgot to put shoes on. He lifts my chin up with his finger.

"I ain't done lookin'."

"Can I help ya? Please," I practically beg.

"Yes, you can help me by staying here." I look back down.

"Quit pouting, ya look like a kicked puppy."

"How is he?" Dale questions.

"He'll pull through," Lori sighs with relief.

"Thanks to Hershel, and his people, and... and..."

"And Shane..." Rick cuts her off.

"We would have lost Carl if it wasn't for him."

    Everybody starts to hug, except for me and Daryl of course.

"How'd it happened?" Dale asks.

"Stupid hunting accident that's all."

All the reunions are over, now we have to go to a funeral for that guy Otis that shot Carl.

"Do we have ta go?" I ask Daryl... again. He doesn't snap, just scoffs,

"Yes, for the third time. He may have shot Carl, but he also saved his life. Do you think we should ignore that?"

"No I guess not, but funerals are boring. Everybody acting like they care. Even though the only reason their there is to see who gets their hands on what if the dead guy owned." At this Daryl laughs.

"Ya know, for a little girl you're pretty smart." I smirk,

"One Time, me and one of my neighbor friends from down the block snuck into a funeral. We acted like we knew the person, and stayed for the food after. It was the first time I'd ever eaten cake." Daryl looks at me in disbelief and amusement, and shakes his head.

We follow the others to a place with a bunch of rocks. Hershel starts talking, but I zone out. Shane starts to talk, and I just roll my eyes. Don't we already have to listen to enough of him?

Daryl told me to go wait in the house. He said he wouldn't leave without telling me first. I sit at the table, and listen to my stomach growl a few times. I was really hungry, but every time I thought of Sophia the feeling kinda died a bit. Lori comes in, and turns to me,

"Mason? Daryl wants you."

"Thank you." I jump up, and run out the door.

I find Daryl, he just finished talking with Rick, and neither of them look very happy.

"Lori said you wanted me."

"I wanted to let you know I'm leaving, and to stay in the house till I come get you understand?"

"Yes." I say dejectedly, and turn to walk away.

"Masie!" He calls to me. I whip around hoping he changed his mind.

"I'm sorry, but two out of three kids are hurt and lost. You're not gonna be next. When I get back from looking for Sophia me and you are gonna go huntin'. People gonna get hungry." I smile and nod.

    He leaves, and I go back inside. I hope he gets back soon, but in the meantime I'll sit with Carl.

HEY Y'ALL I'VE GOTTEN A TON OF VOTES OVER THIS PAST WEEK AND JUST WANTED TO SAY THANK YOU SO MUCH!
I HOPE YA DON'T THINK THE BOOK IS GETTING TOO LONG I'M TRYING TO WRAP IT UP.