13. Hide The Children

"Which way did she go?"

Shane asks Dale,

"Who?" Shane rolls his eyes,

"Ya know who. Mason, where is she?" He scratches his chin...

"well I'm not quite for sure, sorry."

Shane looks my direction, but doesn't see me cause I'm hiding behind the tent. He starts walking towards the tent, and I go further into the woods. Apollo tries to follow me, but if he does anything to Shane I don't think he'll be aloud to stay.

"Apollo stay here," I command gently.

Where do I go? Glenn said that he wouldn't help me if I'm disobeying, and technically I am. Dale would probably snitch on me, as well as the Morales family, and Jim and Jacqui... definitely Ed.

My mind is overwhelmed with fear that I am running around a camp, with the only people that might have helped me gone for who knows how long.
I don't even hear the person sneak up behind me. They tap me, and I jump a mile high. I turn around about ready to put up a fight against somebody I know I'll lose to, when I see her.

"Sophia?"

She just looks behind me towards where Shane is.

"Come on, hurry!" She says urgently.

I don't really have any where else to go so I follow right behind her. She sneaks around till we come to her family's camp site.

"Hurry get in. Daddy is at the lake with momma, they won't be back till later. It might buy ya some time." I am extremely confused.

"What?"

"Officer Shane is after ya, isn't he?"

"Well yeah it's just that..." she huffs not angrily, more worried.

"Well then come on if he catches us I'll be in for it too!" She whisper/yells.

I go into her tent. It's kinda clean except for Ed's cigarette butts. I'm guessing their new cause Carol would've probably cleaned them off the floor.

"Quick get under."

she says pulling the blanket up, that was hanging half off the cot.

I dive under it, and Sophia puts the blanket back down so it covers me up.

"Hey! Why are ya doing this?" I ask before so leaves the tent.

"Cause I know what it's like." She says sadly her eyes downcast.

She grabs the broom leaned against the side of the tent, and starts sweeping trying to seem less obvious. I can't see anything cause the blanket covers my view. I do however hear Shane, and he sounds ticked off. I notice he tries to calm himself down for a moment before talking to Sophia.

"Hey darlin, you haven't seen Mason runnin round here, have ya?"

"Yes sir, I actually did."

I can't believe it she set me up, she's gonna snitch on me! Shane is gonna kill me, and it's all her fault.

"Would ya mind tellin me which way she went off to?" He says.

"sure, she went that way.I... I think?"  Shane pauses for a moment.

"Thanks sweetheart." He says through a fake smile.

She giggles a little.

"No problem officer."

He gives a fake laugh, and starts off in which ever direction Sophia told him.

"Ok the coast is clear." She says in her quiet, submissive voice.

I don't move for a minute, till I'm absolutely positive he's gone. Slowly I sneak out from under the cot. I look around carefully examining the woods in the direction he went, and back at the camp to make sure Lori isn't there.

"Thanks"

I say taking a deep breath of relief. She smiles shyly and sits down on the tarp that is being used as a rug.

"your welcome."

Her tone always sounds so submissive. I guess when I was still around my daddy mine was too.

"Why'd ya do that, you don't even know me?"

"I already told ya, I know what it feels like." She replies calmly.

"Yeah." I agree,

"I guess we both have been in the same boat."

"Why is Shane mad at you?" I just shrug.

She sighs.

"Hmmm, my daddy is like that to. I don't even know what I do wrong half the time." I feel bad for her, I can't keep from wanting to help her.

   "Hey, have ya ever fought back?"

She looks at me like I have two heads.

"Fought back? Are you nuts? I couldn't he's bigger than me, it'd make it worse!" She exclaims.

"Well I can teach ya a few things, if your interested. Not to use against your daddy, but just in general. I mean it might come in handy, right?" She smiles,

"I guess so?" She is still unsure.

"Well first off since we're both small ya gotta use their size against them. Like this."

   I've spent about twenty minutes with Sophia just going over a few basic things like blocks, punches, and kicks. Most of the things I made up as I went, but she doesn't need to know that. She is actually kinda fun to hang out with.

"Wow this is so neat!"

She says excitedly, and I just smirk.

"Well if ya say I taught ya any of this I will deny it."

She giggles, and I can't help but smile.

"I kinda wish I could use it against my daddy, but not because he hurts me. It's my mom, I hate seeing him hurt her, her crying makes me feel awful. There's just nothing I can do about it."

She says grudgingly.

I sigh, she's kinda right. Ed Is huge compared to her, he's a giant compared to me. I would probably be scared too if I was her.

  "My parents will be back soon, ya better go, for both our sakes."

"Yeah your right, thanks for saving me from Officer Nimrod." She laughs.

"You're welcome, you should come back sometime you can meet the other kids. Your younger than them, but that doesn't matter."

"Thanks!" I exclaim... I'm faking it of course, I don't want to get to know anybody here, I just want to leave.

   I hope the Dixon's get back soon, cause I'm not gonna go anywhere till they do that's for dang sure.

I wasn't gonna post this till tomorrow,but I couldn't wait😂😂😂 ...hope you enjoyed!