30. Funerals, and soon to be funerals

(Mason's Pro)

      "Hey, Mason come on. It's been more than five minutes. It's time for the funeral." I sit up with a dramatic sigh.
"Yes sir," I say obediently. He snorts,
"You tryin ta suck up for that stunt ya pulled earlier?" I look down sheepishly,
"Ya ain't mad, are ya?"
"Nah, it was pretty awesome."
"I don't think it was," I mumble.
"What do ya mean by tha'?" I sigh,
"I don't know, it just wasn't right, wasn't human."
"Why ya talkin like Dale? It's irritating." I look down, great now he's mad at me.
"Hey, I'm just joshin' don't take it so seriously." I nod,
"What would ya do if tha' happened again?"
"Anything but that." He chuckles.
"Come on time ta go." I get up slowly and stretch. I laugh, and cover my side when Daryl pokes my rib.
He becomes serious all the sudden,
"Ya need ya eat more, as soon as this is over, we're getting you a good meal. Then your gonna sit your hide down, and eat all of it. Your dog is lookin' healthier than you." That makes me think of Apollo.
"Is Apollo still with Jim?" He just grunted, with a small nod.
"Do we have ta go?" I ask hoping for a 'no'.
"Yes." Is the only thing he says.
I sigh quietly,
"We don't have ta stay long, just be there." I shake my head,
"Ok," I concede. He chuckles,
"Ya don't have ta git so excited."
I roll my eyes slightly.
I go to stand up, and end up plopping myself right back down.
"Come on Mase, let's go."
"Daryl..." I whine. He snorts, and leaves the tent... yessss. I close my eyes for a few seconds, but hear someone come into the tent. I'm almost out, when I'm hit with cold wetness. I jerk up, and my face is dripping wet,
"What the he..."
"Git up," is all Daryl says, and I don't argue this time. He hands me a towel, and we leave the tent.
      "Hey Daryl?" I say quietly.
"What da ya want?" He doesn't say it in a mean way though.
"What happened in Atlanta?"
He stops and looks at me, before continuing walking.
"You're only eight, you don't need anymore crap ta think 'bout. Stop worrying, and I don' wanna hear another word 'bout it."
"Yes, si..." he cuts me off again.
"Quit with the 'Yes sir, and no sir' crap. You're not in trouble."
I smirk,
"Sorry, daddy always made me talk like that."
"What if ya didn't?"
I don't say anything, and he surprisingly doesn't make me. Merle would have, no doubt.
"Daryl?" He just grunts.
"Why don't ya push me ta tell you things?" He smirks
"Why? should I?"
"No, it's just... everybody else makes me do everything, or tries to at least, 'cept for you."
"Well, I git it, ya don't wanna, ya shouldn't have too."
"Thanks." He just snorted, and we kept on walking.
When we get there, I started to get closer to the group. That is until a strong hand grabs the back of my collar, yanking me backwards.
"Why are we stoppin here?"
"Ya ask too many questions."
I sigh, and glare at him. I didn't think he was looking, but the cuff on the head he gave me proved otherwise. I lost the glare, and watched the scene playing out before me. 
      Andrea is having trouble getting Amy into a grave, and Dale tries to help her,
"No! I can do it." She half sobs. It's awful watching everybody cry over their lost love ones. I'm just glad I've got nobody that I care about, and vice versa. That's at least what I'm telling myself, but a little voice inside says,

"It would be nice too have someone."

But such is life, no changing it, so no sense crying over it.
      I'm too lost in thought to notice Daryl trying to gain my attention.
"Hey Mason. Earth ta Mason, come in Mason." He snaps his fingers, and I realize.
"Sorry I guess I'm out of it today." He gives me a stern look,
"Well ya need ta keep your head outta the clouds girl, git yourself killed."
"Sorry, I won't." He just nods, and we start walking back to camp.
     "Can I git my dog yet?"
"No, I wan' him on watch just incase. We're gonna head out soon. Git your things from Rick and Lori's tent, and bring 'um here." I do as I'm told, and when I get back Daryl has his tent cleared out.
"What do ya want me ta do next?"
"I'm putting the bike in the truck, and I'm leaving' a bunch of stuff here. So stay quiet and out of the way." I huff quietly, and sit in Merle's chair.
       We end up leaving Merle's things, the chair, along with the cots behind. The tent is in a small bag. He grabs one sleeping bag for himself, and his bag with his clothes and things. I watch as he chucks it into the back of the truck, and starts to walk back towards me.
"We're gonna leave Merle's stuff here, no need fir it anymore," He states coldly.
"If ya have to use the bathroom, do it now. If I find out we have ta stop cause of you..." he says threatening.
"We won't," I assure him
"Good," he walks off probably to use the bathroom. I quickly unzip Merle's bag grabbing out a semi clean shirt, it will be a memory of him. Daryl might want it later. I stuff ya into my bag, and decide I better use the bathroom.
      By the time Everyone is ready, me and Daryl have been waiting on the tailgate of his truck. I wish we I could ride in here I love trucks. Their big, loud, and have boisterous horns, but Daryl said he needed to think. I understand, his brother just died and all. Daryl made me put my stuff in the back. I was gonna have to ride in an overcrowded vehicle, great. The Morales family decides they are splitting up, and going to find their family. I feel bad for Sophia she got close to their daughter. Rule one in this world... don't get attached to anyone.
When we finally get on the road, I'm stuck in Lori's lap. I make it look like I'm not enjoying it, but in reality I'm actually loving it. I've never been held in somebody's lap, it makes me feel safe. I feel awkward at first, but I eventually lay my head back, and try to take a nap. It must surprise Lori cause I feel her tense a little, but not in a bad way. She strokes my head, and talks quietly to Rick.
"We should have had another." She says dreamily. Rick chuckles,
"hmmm, a girl I'm guessing." She lets out a breathy laugh, "How did you know?"
"Ya could call it an educated guess."
"I love you," Lori says.
"Not as much as I love you," Rick assures. If only he knew, I fall asleep to that thought.
I wake up to a sudden stop, and Rick getting out of the car. I stretch, yawn, and rub my eyes.
"How was your nap?" Lori asks.
"Very much needed," She chuckles.
"Hey Mason," Sophia greets. Then Carl comes into the conversation,
"Ya missed out on a lot." I'm confused,
"Like what?"
"We passed a gas station." He says, and I think he's being sarcastic.
"Here." He says pulling out a Hersey bar.
"Thanks!" I smile, and open it, and eat the whole thing.
The door opens to a grave faced Rick,
"It's Jim." We all get out, and I run over to Daryl.
"Hey squirt," He says. I just smirk, as he ruffles my hair. Rick comes over,
"Mason, he wants ta talk to you."
"Me?"
"Her?"
Me and Daryl say in unison.
"That's what he said." I walk with him over to Jim, and he looks awful. Sweat is pouring off of him, and he's breathing heavily.
"Hey Mason." I swallow hard,
"Hi Jim," He smiles tiredly.
"I don't have much time left, but I want to tell you something."
"What's that?"
"You are a strong little girl. No matter what people say, you are not weak. You've been left behind, let down, and hurt your whole life, and you deserve better. Let him in, he's gonna protect you. Even if... when he tries to push you out. He needs you, and you need him. I see it your trying to shut out everyone... don't. I did, and look where I am." I know he means Daryl.
"I will, I promise..." I look down.
"Bye Jim, we'll miss you."
"Bye Mason, I hope... I know I won't see you anytime soon." With that he shuts his eyes, and and smiles.
Everybody is crying or looking sad, I go back to the car, and sit on Lori's lap. I look out the window until sleep takes over once again.

IT'S FUN WRITING ABOUT HER ATTITUDE, AND DARYL NOT MIXING VERY WELL😂